Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Advice Request

mongson

Hi to All -At one time I was set to get an old Homelite/Simplicity 10 horse tractor. That deal has since fallen through the cracks. I have about 1,000.00 clams to spend on a tractor. I would prefer new or totally reconditioned. My wish list is the following:cut grass, pull a cart, roller, yard sweeper, plow snow. My "would like" is all of the above and also the ability to put on ground engaging implements like a tiller, disc-harrow, dozer blade, grader, etc. I could buy a brand new Poulan from Sears that would meet the requirments of my wish list for 949.50. 13.5HP Briggs, 5 speeds, 38"cut. According to "the experts" a little old riding mower or something like the Yard Bug would be more than adaquate form my 1/2 acre lawn. I am in the Fort Wayne, IN area if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.

MY TWO CENTS: Chris, I'm sure that for a grand you should be able to find an older Simplicity large frame to fit your needs. Example: I just bought a 2010 with a 42 inch deck, cart and vac system for $650. Granted, it needs some work but when you buy any old tractor you have to expect that. To me, thats part of the fun. You have to like working on them. You have to decide what's best for you and your time and skills.

Mutton Power equiptment,in the Fort,usually has some decent deals on used tractors.Or check the trader paper from northeast Indiana.BTW,I'm up the road a bit in South Bend.

Thanks Goatfarmer. I checked out Mutton's web site and they had a few that weren't baaaaaad.(Sorry, couldn't help myself). There were a few in my price range including one or two Simplicity models. Next time you have nothing better to do, take a look at their on-line inventory. I may go look at them this afternoon before I see what atrocities Sears has. Thanks and keep those cards and letters coming!