Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sickle stupidity ! Ouch.

BrownA

Today I worked on my B-210 restoration project. Since it was nice outside here in Massachusetts I opened up the garage door and began cleaning up or juggling my stuff. Well, I went to move my sickle bar and while doing so I did a real stupid thing. I put my finger between the teeth/blade and of course as I did this the pulley rubbed up against the floor, Guess what happened next ? the blade closed on my finger, OUCH ! Luckily I was able to move the sickle bar assembly to get the blade off my finger. Needless to say it cut a nice line in my finger. The moral of my story is BE CAREFULL. Al

I knew what your post was going to be as soon as I read the title. Either I'm psychic or I've "been there". Guess which..........

I make it a point to always grab one of the skids on the underside and wrap my fingers tightly around that when moving mine around.

thedaddycat
I find a pair of heavy leather gloves to be fairly good prevention, and much easier on the hands than the cure........

The sickle will also bite you when you raise it, to put it in the transport position. This changes the distance on the pivot point and moves the blades.

we mow allot of hay with a 9' sickel bar mower and you always hold on the under side and keep your fingers out of the gard win folding up or you can be down a finger.