Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I broke everything

snapper1650

snapper1650
I eluded to this in the [url="http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14932"]"Spring Fever Topic"[/url] down in the coffee shop. It has been beautiful weather down here, so it's time to get the garden going. Pulled out the Simplicity and mowed the covercrop down (no problems). Got the Snapper 1650 w/ 3point out to go get the tiller. While hooking the tiller up I noticed excessive play in the tine shaft. Bearings were gone. Tore it down, both bearings seized on shaft. That's okay. I can do it the old way with 12" turn plow and discs. 1/4 of the way thru plowing, I went to raise the plow out of the ground at the end of the garden and heard a pop. No more forward motion, and the lift won't raise the plow...:(! Climbed off and looked to see if shaft broke. Nope. Drive train is intact from engine to hydro pump. Sounds like there is a little bit of rattling in the pump. This can't be good...:(:(![V] Guess I'll be pulling a pump down soon!!!!!

Billy Jack, Like Art said I sure hope it's nothing serious, It finally got warm enough to get out and work in the shop yesterday,8D Managed to screw up about $30 worth of new parts while I was out there:(!:(, guess I just need to be more careful:I

I guess that you need more tractors so you can break more stuff and keep going.I know I keep changing tractors when one breaks grab another one.I think with 40 inches of frost in the ground I will not be doing to much stuff in the garden for quite awhile.Bob

snapper1650
I guess I'm about to get a crash course in Hydrostatic/lift pump overhaul... Gonna take the kids down to SeaWorld San Antonio this weekend (end of their spring brake) and do some of that "stress management". Then I'll tear it down next week. Thanks Art. I hope it's not serious either. It's a stout little tractor! Bob, I guess that's a good reason to get a backup tractor...:D. I wish there were more AC/Simplicity to choose from down here. Lot's of green, a little red, but not much orange.

quote:
Originally posted by snapper1650
it's time to get the garden going.
Sorry to hear about your problem. :( Don't forget to add the cost of repairs the cost of the garden. ;)

Billy, Im not sure what brand of tractor you are useing. A Simp or the snap? If its the snap, then you did not hear a pop!!!:D If you need it, I have a good sunstrand out of an orange one that I'd make you a deal on.

Gee, you should have beben at the sale I went to last week. They auctioned a 1650 with a 3 point and a deck and it only brought $400.

Putting the tiller on to do the garden last weekend the engagement lever for the belt clutch on my B-1 gave it the ghost after only about 40 years. Engineered/hacked/made a replacement from a piece out of an old washing machine to get going again. Tilled garden and had fun. The ole B-1 never missed a beat.

Ya know, I really don't need to hear this... My garden still has well over 18" of snow on it -- including snow that came in November BEFORE I could get the leaves tilled in.... Now, with all the leaves on it, it could be a challenge to ever get it dry enough to till -- but planting time (Memorial Day weekend) is still a ways away....

Man Kent, I'll make you jelous with pics of my garden plus its gonna be in the 70s for the next 5 days. Mostly sunny with a few thunder showers and a 9020 with loader and a 7790 with a new dozer blade and a 3410s and a old sovereign and a david bradley and .................................................................................................................. WANT SPRING?

hey kent it sounds like lawrence is tring to rub it in hey! i think thats kinda funny. i'm only 45 min away and i'll be till'in before you too!:D rob

I'M WITH YOU KENT! I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT WORKING IN THE GARDEN. ART WILL PROBLY ATTEST TO THIS, I THINK HE LIVES PROBABLY A HALF HOUR FROM ME. WE HAVE BEEN FREEZING OUR TALES OFF ALL WINTER. LOOKS LIKE THE WEATHER'S GONNA BREAK THIS WEEK THOUGH- 40'S AND 50'S, HEAT WAVE! MAYBE WE CAN REDUCE THE 18 INCHES OF SNOW... AND OPEN THE POOL!

snapper1650
quote:
Originally posted by dutch Don't forget to add the cost of repairs the cost of the garden. ;)
I guess the price of those peas and beans just went up...B) Got back from San Antonio and it is raining here. Covered the tractor with a tarp. I'll go get it when it stops raining and pull it to the shop.
quote:
Originally posted by LBS Billy, Im not sure what brand of tractor you are useing. A Simp or the snap? If its the snap, then you did not hear a pop!!! If you need it, I have a good sunstrand out of an orange one that I'd make you a deal on.
It was the Snapper/Massey. And it has an Eaton pump (looked at the service manual while at the hotel Saturday night). The simplicity is a lawn tractor, so it doesn't see garden action. Thanks for the offer though! Sam, I got this one for $200 in working order. Someone brought it in for a repair and never returned. Bought it for what the repair bill was worth. But they are worth $400 in my opinion. Well, mine ain't worth a dang right now, but you know what I mean...^ Kent, sorry....:D.... it's been bumpin' the 80's here and everything is budded out. Definately spring down here. I answered your tilling poll just now with mixed emotions (you need a bawling emoticon). I normally DO till with mine. Was over by your old home again in San Antone. Not much has changed over there around the base, that I could tell, but the city is growing leaps and bounds everywhere else.