Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Howdy! My brother is trying to get me to buy a simplicity tractor.Right now I have a 3 year old MTD piece of junk that is falling apart,and need to make a decision on a new one soon.I am hoping to get educated on here so I don't make another mistake! I have less than an acre to mow,but sometimes it gets overgrown because of my work schedule,(which will be even more hectic this summer because we are shorthanded).So it has to be able to cut grass a foot high sometimes.Also would like to plow snow and maybe get a tiller later on.I would like to keep it under 3k,so a new one is probably out of the question,any suggestions? John

John, IMO, look for a good used Sovereign or a pre-1995 Landlord. Parts are readily available, there's plenty of attachments available, and that design has proven to last for years and years with proper maintenance. In the pre-1995 timeframe, the Landlords, Barons and Sovereigns all shared the same basic design and implements. The engines and the transmission choices were the differences. Though many people have reported good "luck" with them, several have not, so to be safe you may want to avoid the "shuttle-shift" transmission, and go with either the hydrostatic or the less-expensive standard 3 or 6 speed transmissions. Note the 6 speed just uses a different, dual drive pulley setup on a standard 3 speed. IMO, go for the hydro if you can find a good deal on one...

Hi John, sounds like an interesting job you have. I bought my 1994 16 HP, Landlord, last year for 2K. With less than a 100 hrs. It really handles my 5 cleared acres, nicely. I also, do not get to mow every week and the grass can be quite thick and high by time, I am able to get to it. (Vacation home). The deck rollers, give the traditional Simplicity, "golf course" look to your lawn. Good luck.

John I have an older (1979) Allis Chalmers 712 that is the same as the Simplicity Landlord in many respects. It does a great job for me and you would never know it was 24 years old. I am the second owner. I bring this to your attention only because Simplicity and Allis Chalmers are very closely "related" - same manufacturer. Dan

Thanks for the advice.I think I would have to go with the hydro.My oldest daughter(16)thinks the money for a new tractor would be better spent furthering her education,so I told her that a very important part of her education will be learning to mow the lawn,and I have already had enough experience trying to teach her to drive a stick shift! I recently had to take a dog out to my brother in Pa.for training,(department paid for the trip),and I got to see his Soverin.Very nice.I would be interested in something like that,and he payed just over 3k,which is in my price range.However,he said he doesn't think I can get a grass bagger and/or mulching blades for it,and I think I need to consider that? (unless I can get my girl to mow more often when I can't get to it right away!)Does anybody know if the Soverin can bag or mulch? Thanks in advance,John