Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Coil Armature gap?

mowerman1193

Hello everyone,I lost spark on my Landlord with a 23d.I changed the points and condencer and still had nothing so I took the motor off to check the coil and the wires inside the cover.Well I had the coil tested and it was ok.The wires that go through the shroud was not in the best of shape so I bought some shrink tubing to cover them up.I got everything ready to go but... I can't remember what the gap between the coil and the flywheel should be.I did a search but,boy there is alot of messages to go through. Thanks for the info. you give.

Mowerman, Acording to the B&S book if you have a two leg armature it should be .010 to .014 and if you have a 3 leg armature the gap should be .022 to .026, hope this helps you out:)

If you don't have non-magnetic feeler gages, I have at times used a matchbook cover for the two leg units on B/S push mowers. Not perfect, but it works.