Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bevel Gear retaining ring

johnmonkey

I am rebuilding a bevel gear box (new seals and bearings) and I was putting everything back together. When I put the retaining ring on it was tight in the groove (of the driven shaft in front of the driven gear) as I was tapping it all together I noticed the retaining ring is now loose. How much of a problem is that??? Could I use a little loc-tite on it to make sure it doesn't move?? Any help would be appreciated thanks John H. Should I take it apart and re attach it??

John, Remove the ring and roll it closed. Roll from the end to the back side of the ring and then the other end to the center. Do not squeeze across the ring or it will become elliptical. It needs to be rolled in from the ends. The key is to get it inside the groove in the gear or spring retainer. When it is correct it is locked in by the outside of the groove in the gear. When the gear is over the ring the ring cannot come out of the groove because the recess in the gear and the spring retainer keeps the ring locked in the shaft groove. Make sure the retainer is locked in and all will be well. My 2 cents worth and it is free, value accordingly. Al Eden