Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tecumseh tech

plowman

I've got a tec. 6hp H60 It's got x-tra oil drain holes in it, I found a tec. 6hp HH60 Could anyone tell me what the other "H" is for? Maybe just a different year? Thanks, Chris

The first letter designates crankshaft configuration: H=horizontal, V=vertical. The second letter designates whether the engine is standard (no second letter), M=medium frame, H=heavy frame. H60 is the horizontal shaft, standard engine. The HH60 is just built heavier than the H60. Pat

I have an old Sears tiller with a 4hp tecumseh on it. I can't find a serial or model # anywhere, would that be a H40? HH40? It's around 25 years old and I put $80 in it and it still doesn't run, as I believe it's the ignition (I want to convert it to solid state).

Max, Not sure what model it would be. Tecumseh engines used for Sears use a Sears number, rather than a Tecumseh number. It begins with three digits, a decimal point, then about six or seven more digits. If you have the Sears engine number, it can be crossed over. I'll look and see if I have the cross referance if you want to post your engine number. The number should be stamped into the top of the shroud. On some Tecumseh engines, the fuel tank bracket covers it. Pat