Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7116H Starter

dlsven

Awhile back I posted a message regarding problems I was having with starting my 7116H. The starter would barely turn the engine over when you first hit the key then it would turn over better after the first revolution. Sometimes I'd have to hold the key in the start position a couple of seconds before it would turn over at all. I was asked if I found the fix to the problem to post it. Well I took the starter off to have it rebuilt and the mechanic told me the starter was O.K. and that he thought that maybe I had bought a cheap battery without enough amps. That turned out to be my problem and I figured if I didn't know any better that maybe there were other people out there having the same problem. I now know that the 7116 requires at least 390 CCA. The battery that I had bought had only 140 CCA. It did work for the summer but that was it. I discovered a second problem today when I was lubricating the tractor that might help someone too. When I was under the tractor I noticed that one of the hydraulic hoses had a grove worn in it. It was caused by the steering bevel gear rubbing the hose when the wheels were turned sharply to the left. A nylon tie solved the problem but eventually it would have worn a hole in the hydraulic line if I hadn't caught it.

I have been looking at batteries. Now I know what the wrong CCA will cause. Thanks for letting us learn from you. Dan

I ended up buying a Sears Craftsman battery rated at 350 CCA. The salesman told me that their batteries have higher CCA than shown on the battery. He measured the CCA for me on some sort of meter and it indicated the CCA was 481. I had asked the starter repairman if Sears batteries would work and he said they were good batteries so that's why I went that route. I don't have a Simplicity dealer handy so I don't know what they have to offer.

The battery that is made for these large frame tractors is Group 22NF, these are usually 400+CCA. I was lucky... my 7 year old son accidently rolled a tractor on its side, he said he saw a spark and flash when it rolled (he was fine - jumped clear of tractor). What happened is the battery posts touched the hood (and it is right next to the gas tank). From then on I ONLY use the battery made for the tractor and it is firmly held in place by the battery retaining clamps. I find the batteries at Fleet Farm and Farm & Fleet. $35.

Mike, You're right, that is the battery size listed for the 7116s but I've never heard of Fleet Farm or Farm & Fleet. I have been unable to find a 22NF anywhere around here even thought it's listed as the correct battery in the battery guides in the stores. I bought my tractor used and the battery carrier had been modified to use the smaller U1 (I think) battery. Seems like the midwest is the garden tractor center of the country. It must be fun to have all those tractors and parts to choose from. I really appreciate the help that I get from this site. Dennis