Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-10 key blowing sparks!!

rod07

I got one for you all, on my early model B-10 when I push the start switch sparks fly from around the slot where the key goes in (the key is in at the time and on) any suggestions?

Your problem could be a bad ingition switch. Does the engine turn over normally? Engine shut off is accomplished by appling a grd to points side of the coil. Try disconnecting the switch at the points cover junction block if eng runs you'll have to shut off by choking or applying a grd to the points where the ingition switch was connected. Good luck!

Or the hot ignition wire frayed, melted and grounding to another wire or the frame in the vicinity of the sparking.

Marion_Kerr
I think you have a hot wire grounded either at the ingnition switch area or elswhere as Art related.

I have a 9 hp landlord that sparks at the ignition switch when I turn it off,it sounds as though the key switch is worn but isn't getting enough ground to kill the engine while in the on position.Disconnect the kill wire at the points box ,start the engine and see if it sparks,I'll bet it won't.with the key on touch the kill wire to the points and see if you get the sparks,it shouldn't.