Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

CCKA/CCKB onan spec. questions

schaefer72

hi - i am looking into the different models of onan motors for possible replacement or donor parts for a motorless powermax - i see alot of ccka/cckb motors for sale with alittle different spec numbers and letters - dose anyone know of a chart showing all spec data for diff models ? - chart showing production changes "a-z" - what are the changes per letter? - chart showing optional equipment installed "2420" vs "2440" - what equipment changes went with what numbers ? - what do the last numbers on the shortblock charts mean " 110-3422-26" vs " 110-3422-20" ? - i have already looked at the don hillman web site info - it was a big help but ended up with new questions - i already have all the ccka/cckb parts manuals and service manuals as well as a factory training manual covering complete rebuild of cck/ccka/cckb engines - they give some info - but none give all the info im looking for - - i already know that the ccka/cckb seamed to use the same short block / pistons / rings / heads / valves - i also know that the engines major differenes are in the charging systems installed 15 amp vs 20 amp / flywheel / crank / oil pan / carb. / intake manifold THANKS ALOT !!!!

You already know more then me and have more books then I do so I can't help you a bit, have'ta keep reading and see if I can learn anything...Might try talking to a good ditch-witch dealer as they used some Onans..MPH

hi i haven't gotten much of a response - so i called the local onan dealer and didnt get much help - he tried - but actually i knew more about it than he did - he said all his info was mostly on old microfiche and all he could do was go thru each engine type one by one and tell me the differences - he didnt know of any master lists to spell out exactly what all the changes were - i wasnt very impressed with there overall knowledge - the biggest help so far has been this site and the don hillman onan site - maybe im on my own i guess ?

Seems hard to get good info on the Onans. Not sure why, they were widely used, maybe Onan was too Co interest protective or something. Too bad, good motor, but not sure how to get around it..MPH

Jason, You've dived deeper into this than I have and I feel for you. The situation is the same with my onan dealer. I think that Onan went thru a change in the 1980's where they stopped agressive marketing of their engines in outdoor power applications and started concentrating on generators and welders. That left the cck series out as a dinosaur and all we can hope for is to find some fossils here and there. Basically the CCKB was used on some rarely large garden tractors in the '70s and early '80's and also in some rail cars. Once in a while you'll find a CCKB in a military surplus application, but that's about all I've seen of this motor. Many times the rail cars and military app's had lower ratings on the alternators. It almost seems that the 20 amp 12 pole syncro alternator was dedicated to garden tractors, most of which were the Simplicity Powermax and AC 620/720 series tractors. This was probably due to the high power requirement of the electric clutch used on these machines.

Jason, I worked for the Onan Distributor for many years and I know of no publication like you are speaking of. The CCK was designed for military applications. It proved to be so good that it then spilled over to other products. I have a welder with a cck, A cushman type truckster with a cck, and a generator with a cck. Genset applications did not use a flywheel alternator. nor did the welder or the cushman. The welder and genset used a special winding wound into the generator for battery charging and the truckster had a alternator like on a car. Even if you could call the factory, They could not tell you what you want to know. The application range was so great. That was prior to the computer age but, most is now included on the dealer CD. To know the exact changes made to each, you would have to look up each model number and then compair the parts breakdown for like numbers. the BOM bill of materials would have been archived and you couldn't beg a copy as it would have to be located by hand in a warehouse. If you can tell me a complete model, spec, and serial # I may? be able to check some numbers and tell you if it would bolt up or not. Bear in mind that it would be a true scavenger hunt and it might take a few days.

From experience with my 4040 Simp, my best help is Outboard Marine in La Crosse, WI. Jim seems to get every answer for me, he says the CCK's are in tons of marine generators so perhaps another marine dealer could help you. It's worth a shot. Jim has a dealers parts book with esploded drawings that help. John S.