Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electronic ignition module

johnmonkey

I have a simp 3410 (~1974) with a 10 hp B&S engine (model 243431). I can not find where the information is for an electronic ignition so that I can eliminate the points and coil. I believe there is a new style electronic device that will replace the old stuff. I did a search for"electronic ignition" but had no luck. I also think that jacks small engine has the part I'm talking about . Any help would be appreciated thanks John H?

powerking_one
John, This subject has be hashed out many, many times before. To borrow Maynard's text in a previous response: There are 2 pages on this topic use this search Search For: Briggs Ignition, Magnatron, Magnetron, Repolarize, Re-polarize, Remagnetize, Remagnetise, Magnet polarity, Briggs flywheel. (search each key word phrase separately) Check: Match exact phrase Check: Archived Posts Search Forum: Talking Tractors Search In: Entire Message Check: Archived Posts Search By Date: Any Date Search By Member: Blank Regards, Tom(PK)

Thanks I only used the words "electronic ignition" and came up blank. I will try the the other key words. John H

John, I eliminated the entire electronic ignition 15 years ago on my 243431 engine by replacing the magneto with a Kohler coil hooked to the B/S points and condenser. Only problem with this system is that you have to change the ignition switch or use a push button starter switch. If you are interested in this type of set-up drop me a personal email. I know it is just the opposite of what you asked for, but it has worked great for me and you never have to pull the flywheel to work on it with everything outside. I have also used this type of setup to diagnose magneto failure.