Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

??? Post re: wheel spindle bearings

Kent

I know someone posted a topic with pictures about using very thin bearings between the front wheel spindles and the front axle to improve the ease of steering... I've spent 20 minutes using the Search function trying to find that topic, using every description I thought made sense. :( Can someone point me in the right direction, since I'd like to do this to my 2012 with loader... ?

Talking Tractors Axel & wheel spindle mods on Big Tens' family powerking_one [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10571[/url]

Kent - you won't be disappointed. For just a few dollars, steering under load will be miraculously improved. Anybody with a loader or johnny bucket should do this. I have put these bearings on all my Broadmoors, just for the way they make snowblower use easier. The Johnny Bucket people should offer it as a kit. Tom

Thanks, Maynard!!!! I searched for Torrington -- don't know why it didn't find it... I was getting pretty frustrated! :( BTW, if A&W Bearings online prices are correct, the total price for this mod would be $6.88... The bearings are $1.15 each, the .060" washers are $.91 and the .030" washers only $.44 each.... Thinking I'll combine that with a full set of Timken wheel bearings and make an order, since there's a $25 minimum for an order.

Tom, Since you've done this several times, it sounds like, should I order extra washers -- just in case? Kent

I work with the small frame tractors, so I don't know if you will encounter these same issues with your B series: If too many washers (or too thick washers) are used, you may encounter a problem installing the retaining clip at the top of the steering spindle. On the Broadmoors, I solved it in several ways. If the spindle is worn to any significant degree, there is more room for washers. On a less-worn spindle, I had to use the thinner washers in all 3 places. Also, spindle shaft from earlier models (707, 717) used a cotter pin retaining system rather than the e-clip, and thus had longer spindles. One one tractor, I had to actually grind down the top of the steering tube (only 1/8" or so) to get everything to fit. So my suggestion would be to order extra washers, especially the thin ones. The prices you showed for A&W are correct - they are cheap at 44 cents. Since you are improving your steering, check the bronze bushings inside the steering tube. If they are worn, the shaft will wobble in the tube. These bushings are also very cheap - get them from you A/C / Simplicity dealer for less than $2. Tom

Thanks, Tom. Just for grins I priced out what it would cost to rebuild the steering gears on the 2012, using Jack's online database -- $90.31 plus shipping. I think that convinced me to wait for while on that one -- I'm putting together a used serviceable one that's not too sloppy... I need to decide just what I'm going to do with this thing before I invest too much money in it. So far, a set of tires front and rear, plus new front wheel bearings/races, plus this enhancement -- it's missing one dust cap, and given the stress on the frontend, I want to make sure that's up to speed. I also got a good used 9HP Landlord frame from Sam, so I could do a complete "frame up" job, but I want to use it this summer and see how it holds up, then decide. For example, I haven't decided yet if it'll end up orange or yellow, or the loader mounted on a different tractor. Dutch suggested when I was doing the hydro conversion that I look at a cable-operated foot-control... now I wish I had looked at that possibility closer. A 16HP foot-dragger with foot-controlled Sundstrand with a loader would be a neat "hack job!" ;) But, that tractor is my primary mower and my 11 year old claims it as his...

Kent, Since you are missing a grease cap for one of your front wheels, you may want to consider replacing those caps with "Bearing Buddies" like are used on boat trailers. The cap roughly measures to the 1.7? size or the small ones. I am considering this myself to eliminate the yearly pulling of wheels for lubrication of bearings. This sort of goes along with your other upgrades. Every time I pull one of those caps I damage it.

I remembered it, I just couldn't find it... that's happening much more often since I passed 50, I've found.... I'm still trying to remember who I loaned my NAPA adapter for putting fluid in tires went, for example...

This is a little off subject but, I have an idea. For subjects like the bearings (and manetron ignition) or, any other subject that is common, why don't we post them in the how-to section. That way you can look things up easier. Recently when I tried to look up magnetron ignitions it took a long time (My computer is still sssllloowwww). I think that it would save time and cut back on redundancy. John H PS Kent I guess the johnny bucket was sold already??

John, That's a good idea. All I need is the time to do it... :) And, yes, the Johnny Bucket sold in less than an hour... Kent

Kent, Wished we would have noticed the cap, I do have a whole box full of "new" ones sitting here on the shelf. When you get the bearings and shimms to improve the steering, let me know how they work. I might get some for this 916 /loader. Umm.. there are yard jobs that the Johnny bucket works better at than the loader.......

Sam, I'll keep you posted on the shims and bearings, Sam. Well, after the gas bill from the trip, the cookie jar is empty, and I need to put a set of tires on the loader. One rear went flat on the trailer, and we had to air it up to get it off -- it won't hold air overnight. I also want to put narrow tires (3-rib) on the front, to make it steer easier. So, something had to go...

Kent, Look into the mod. that the Cub fellow did to the front spindles. It sure looked like a good one for a loader tractor. I lost his url, but he was selling plans for a loader and I think backhoe. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/JoeJ/joej_sig2.gif[/img]

Here is the link for the cub with a loader and backhoe for anyone interested. http://www.p.f.engineering.50megs.com/index.html Dan

Dan, Thank you!! I tried finding his site again and couldn't. I'm thinking of trying that spindle change on a blue tractor I use. I had this fellow linked on my site, but he got kinda huffy about the Johnny Products and CAD Plans links so I took it off. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/JoeJ/joej_sig2.gif[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
I remembered it, I just couldn't find it... that's happening much more often since I passed 50, I've found.... I'm still trying to remember who I loaned my NAPA adapter for putting fluid in tires went, for example...
Hey, if you're going to loan stuff out and forget who you gave (loaned) it to, I'll take some! :D Steve