Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kubota Bearings – update

Dutch

It was 60 degrees and sunny here today. So, naturally UPS delivers my back-ordered Kubota snow thrower bearings. To refresh your memory, these were the hex shaft bearings that couldn’t be found except at $80 each from Kubota. When I opened the box, I discovered why the bearings were back-ordered. Kubota switched to an off the shelf bearing which is inserted into a separate outer housing. The outer housing is probably custom machined, therefore the back-order delay. And, guess what bearing Kubota decided to use? A Fafnir 204 series. That’s right, the same basic bearing that is used on Simplicity mower deck arbors, only with a hex center. I already looked up these bearings, and they can be bought for under $12. So, I paid $68 more (times 2) for housings I could have machined myself. Live and learn.............

Tom, I thought you would have accused them of "hacking," because that's exactly what they did. I guess the factory guys can get away with it because they have letters after their names.

Japanese are famous for underwritng the sale of their product but when comes to getting replacement parts LIST times 2.

MasterChief
I'm thinking of purchasing a "B" Series Kubota and know nothing about them. What's your Kubota experiences and recommendation like? Thanks Dutch! Denny Behr

Denny, I've never owned a Kubota tractor (only a snowthrower attachment that is on my Simplicity). The only thing I "know" about Kubota tractors is their owners seem to love them.