Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

K321 Head Bolt removal (Follow-Up Report)

IronPony

AS you all know, I picked up an old Ford 145 with a K321. I am in the process of taking it apart for parts to rebuild a Kohler motor with. How do you take out the long head bolt that is pictured below? Thanks for the help:) [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/howlanddm/DSC00102.JPG[/img]

Hi Dan, your pic, did not come up but, just spray some penetrating oil on the bolts. They should all come out the same. They have been torqued on and may be fairly stiff, let them soak for a while and give it a go.

Thanks for the reply, Art. All the other head bolts were only snug and very easy to turn. The long one I don't see how to get a wrench on it to turn it. The bottom is threaded with a small 9/16th nut that stops where the center of the bolt is threadless. I am afrade to put to much muscle on it for fear of either damage to the nut or just twisting the bolt until it snaps off in the block. If you click on the little red "x" the picture will come up. Dan

Hi Dan, yeah that long bolt does not look original to me. I have deep sockets that would fit it. I would soak it real good, maybe apply some heat with a torch to draw the penetrating oil in. But, you will probably need to buy the deep socket for it. If it breaks you will need to drill it out.

Thanks all - - Soaked the sucker with gunk carb cleaner (did not have any penatrating oil and the whole engine is so covered with old oil that this helped to clean it a little in the process). The bolt was still hard to turn but a little in and out and success. The bolt threads are damaged close to the very end? there are a couple of turns and then damage for a couple of turns. Really bunged up. Oh well, it is out^ Will the K321 head fit a K301 engine? Dan

I don't know but downloading the service manual might help. http://www.kohlerengines.com/service_manuals.html

Dan, As Art said those heads will bolt onto any of those engines, but are not identical. As the engine got larger, so did the combustion chamber to keep the compression ratio the same with larger displacements. If you put the K-321 head on a K-241 engine you will lower the compression significantly. Putting the smaller head on the larger engine will improve the performance, but may cause overheating. I ran a 10 Hp head that had been milled .060 on a 14 Hp engine. Made a very noticeable increase in power. This was for pulling. Would prpbably ruin the engine if it were run under load for a long period of time, such as mowing grass.

You said the engine was out of a Ford. They welded the oil pan to the frame on those tractors, and the pan you have won't work on your Ford block. Just an FYI. All the internal and external components are interchangeable, but not the oil pan. John

John, thanks for the info. I have another K301 wide base block that I want to use the K321 parts to build an engine. I will be selling the K321AQS block once I get it stripped of the parts I want to use. I did not know the oil pan on this old Ford was welded to the frame. That is interesting.|) Now that I have the head off, the internals that I can see look OK. "Thanks again, John for the FYI. Dan

Hi Dan, a rebuild kit including piston and rings is available with aftermarket parts (stens) from Foley-Belsaw at $66.95. It includes Gasket set, Intake and Exhaust valves, Piston and rings, and engine oil seals. Rod made an important point about using the head and changing the compression ratio. The internal parts of the engine such as piston and rings should be replaced with engine appropriate parts. Before buying the piston and rings, the bore measurements should be taken with bore telescoping gauges, (also available from Foley) to determine if the cylinder will need to be bored larger. If so it will need to be taken to a machine shop. You may want to use the K321, as an experimental platform to rebuild and put back in the Ford for use or resale, the K301 would be basically the same. See link for free catalogue..... [url]http://www.foleybelsaw.com/catalognew.html [/url]

Art, thanks for the much need info. I will check out that catalog. The reason I got this Ford tractor in the first place was to learn on the Kohler it came with. The tractor itself is junk. I'm selling what usable parts are left on it on eBay. Hope to make enough to rebuild the K301 for my AC712 which smokes really bad right now but runs strong?? I am considering the chrome rings. My son is a mechanic and dirt track car builder and driver. He is not to hot on the chrome rings for the long run. Says they will wear the bore out faster and may even smoke soon after installation. Thanks again, Dan