Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 5010

goatfarmer

I had a guy call and offer me 2 Simplicity 5010's. Both with mower decks,one snowblower,and one tiller.Don't remember if they were hydro's or stick transmissions.Problem being both have bad engines. Don't know much about the 5000 Series.Looking around here,they appear to be based on the Broadmoor line,built in the mid 70's.Are they decent tractors? He's asking $500.00 for everything,which I thought was high,but he said he would negotiate. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.:D

I would agree that is a little too much. If they are worth $500 to him why doesn't he use them. Could build at least one out of the two. With bad motors I couldn't offer more than $250

They are basically a modified 738 Lawn tractor with a 10 HP Briggs vertical shaft. 3 speed transaxle. They are not a heavy duty tractor and neither are the tillers. The tillers work "OK" in loose soil , but the slowest ground speed of the tractor is too fast and you don't have "Live" power to the tiller. They generally were sold with the same 42" deck as the bigger 7000 series tractors but with a narrower hitch. They are good enough to mow with and do pretty well blowing snow. I have been paying about $50 - $100 for 5010 parts tractors that include decks, just to get the decks to use on the bigger tractors. From what I've seen, the tillers are about a $100 piece or so, and so are the blowers if in good shape. These are a good place to go with a good engine out of a MTD product with a bad deck or tranny. Selling it all out for parts I'd say his $500 price is top value, and that would be with him spending the time piecing it out. My opinion is that with him selling them whole not running, he's about $200-$300 too high. My Opinion...

Thanks for the imput,gang.I'm going to think about it a bit,before calling him back to go look.Sounds like an offer of about half what he's asking is in order!8)