Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wheel Weights vs. Suitcase Weights

Legacy

I need to add some weight onto the Legacy Tractor for additional traction. I have a very hilly piece of property. Looking for some Pros and Cons on Wheel Weights vs. Suitcase Weights.?

Hello Kevin! Welcome to the club!! Have you thought about adding fluid to the tires? Some people use windshield washer fliud others say Anti-Freeze is the way to go!!

MY TWO CENTS:I'm assuming when you say "suitcase weights" you mean a large weight hanging off the back. I have a friend that's been in the tractor repair business some thirty years that says to NEVER hang weight off the back, only on the wheels. It's been his experience that rear weights wear out rear ends, but wheel weights do not. You may want to look at this site. Welcome to the club! :Dwww.ezweights.com

I've had a Legacy for 2.5 years . when I bought it I bought the wheel weights & the front & rear weight racks & weights. I leave the wheel wieghts on all the time , I have a hilly yard also , I put ag tires on the back , big difference in traction . the suit case wieghts I only use with attachments that add alot of wieht to the front or rear

Hang on weights put more load on the chassis and bearings, while wheel weights load only the tires. I use hang on weights, but only put them on when I really need the extra traction, then I remove them when I am finished. I like them because I can put on what ever amount that I need, but I would never leave them on all of the time. I have three different weight racks that I can put on my tractor when needed. One on the front, one in front of the rear wheels, and one at rear fender level in the back. These are a left over from my previous tractor pulling days. I would really recommend wheel weights, or loaded tires over hang on weights for constant use.

I would go with wheel weights. With the wheel weights you keep your center of gravity low so it won’t be so apt to tip. If at all possible go down on the steeper ground. For more stability put some wheel weights on the front wheels. Adding fluid to the tires will also help but it does take some power to turn fluid verses solid weights. Not to mention if it looks to steep and rough DON’T operate your tractor in an UNSAFE MANNER!

I chose the wheel weights for my tractors. Less wear and tear and the traction is great. Here is my set-up

The weights are 25 lbs bar bell weights that are available at your local WalMart for around $10.00 each. I use two per side for a total of 100 lbs. Also nice is the install or removal is only a couple of bolts on each tire. Steve