Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Like Butter!!!!!!!

mongson

:D HELP!!!!!!!!! After reading this post, read my next one in this thread. Any suggestions would help ease my mind. Thanks. I started up my Regent last evening for the first time since I brought it home (almost a week) and took it for a ride around the back yard. Just for giggles I turned on the PTO and well, when the sound of those blades whirling got to my ears, I couldn't help myself. I mowed the back yard. Before I knew it I was done. With the 14" turning radious, I was actually able to mow around the kids' playground stuff. When I was done, I saw how grassy and dirty it had gotten so I had to clean it. I removed the cutting deck and cleaned all the grass from the underside and then cleaned off the grass from the top side. I could not believe how easy it was to get the belt and deck off the machine. It was a piece of cake. Now I can't wait to get out there and cut the rest of the lawn, roll it, areate it, dethatch it, fertilize it. Hopefully I will put a picture out here soon. (Not like y'all haven't seen a Regent before).

OK, now...Fort Wayne is about the same longitude as where I am in Ohio. What in the world did you cut? My grass is still brown!:D

Here in Fenwick,Ontario,Canada the ground is too wet to walk even with rubber boots.:DThe tractors on the lawn now would make a mud puddle. [img]http://www.simplicityva.com/tvgtp.gif[/img] Karl

:D I don't know for sure what I cut. There are clumps of freshly cut grass on the ground albeit slightly brown. There was only one really wet spot in the yard that I left marks in but hey, I haven't rolled the yard yet. I have already had a tragedy with my tractor. Tonight when I went out to start it up to back it out of the garage, there was a HUGE puddle of gasoline on the floor soaked in. The 2 gallon fuel tank was empty and the tractor would not start. When I turned it over gas squirted out of the exhaust pipe. They are coming to pick it up tomorrow to take it in for repair. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong? This is not a happy thing to happen to a first time tractor owner in the first week of owning a tractor.:(

Mongson, Sounds like you have a stuck float in the carb. Probably minor. Fix the carb, and change the oil. It will be good as new.

Out of this post and the other, I did not see one "definitive" fix. Are y'all saying that the symptom could have several causes to which there could be several different fixes? Is this a common thing for these tractors? I mean I want this fixed and not to have it happen every time I turn around. Is there something that I should tell the dealer that would help them accomplish this? Now I am starting to get concerned.

quote:
Originally posted by mongson
Out of this post and the other, I did not see one "definitive" fix.
A "definite" problem has to be identified before a "definitive" fix can be applied. Your dealer will know what to do. If your Regent doesn’t already have one, have your dealer install a fuel line shut off valve, and use it. That won’t correct any problems, but it’s good insurance to prevent a disaster from having raw gas leaking in your garage. Here are a couple of tips. Use only clean fuel in a clean container. A speck of dust can cause all sorts of problems. Always check your oil before starting your engine. If level is too high, fuel is probably entering the crankcase. Also, wipe the oil off the dipstick with your fingers and feel the viscosity. It should be slippery. Oil diluted by fuel will destroy an engine in a very short time.

They picked up my Regent on Tuesday and it is still not back. I spoke to the service person yesterday and they said something about a needle wearing out and needing to be replaced. I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me what that's all about. The mechanic did say that if this fixes the problem, it should not happen again. I am concerned that this will be a repeating occurrence and am questioning my own judgement in buying this machine. HELP.

Chris - RELAX - the dealer just gave you GOOD NEWS. There is a needle valve in the carburator that was not seating. It is controlled by the float that was mentioned above. This specific problem is common, and is easily and cheaply fixed. Two things for you to do, still: - install the fuel shut off valve(or have the dealer do it while he has the tractor - it is also cheap) - look at thru the SimpleTrACtors site and follow links to learn more about your carburetor. It will take you a few hours and you will learn LOTS about your carb, your engine and your tractor - and you will have LOTS OF FUN doing it. When I first found the site, now just 2 years ago, it gave me weeks of fun reading and searching, to learn all about the type of tractors that I use. You will learn how most of this is pretty simple, even making the various adjustments on your carb. For now, you will have a good running tractor again, and not too big a bill from the shop. Good Luck - Tom Schmit, in Milwaukee

So I would use the shut off valve whenever I shut off the tractor? Or would I have it to use incase I noticed it leaking?

quote:
Originally posted by mongson
So I would use the shut off valve whenever I shut off the tractor? Or would I have it to use incase I noticed it leaking?
I know I'm going to sound like a wise guy, but I'm only trying to offer good long term advice. Common sense goes a long way with owning a tractor. In your above post you stated,
quote:
Tonight when I went out to start it up to back it out of the garage, there was a HUGE puddle of gasoline on the floor soaked in. The 2 gallon fuel tank was empty and the tractor would not start.
What good would it do to shut the valve off after the fuel already leaked out onto the floor? I think you said the tractor is a 1997. That's 6 years old. Small things are going to go wrong. Unless you want to be without the tractor for long periods of time, and pay big bucks to your dealer, learn to do small jobs yourself. Get a complete set of manuals. Do preventive maintenance. Look for potential problems. Ask questions in this forum. These machines are not all that complicated. Just don't panic when something goes wrong.

Do forgive the dumbness. I was blonde as a baby. I do intend on reading all that there is to read and learning to do all that I can. I did take small engine repair in shop class when it was still called shop class. Now you're lucky if you can even find a saw in shop class. Any way, tractor is STILL not home. They said that it was done on Friday but not able to be delivered until this Friday (4/4/03). Anyone have plans out there where I could build my own tow trailer to hook up to my van so I am not at the $55.00 mercy of my dealer for a pickup and drop off? I am handy with an arc welder. Any way, I am still chomping at the bit to get my Regent home. It has been int eh 70's this week and I look kind of funny pulling the aerator around the back yard with my kids pedal tractor.