Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Serrated Grader Blades – Info

Dutch

[img]http://home.att.net/~netco-nj/blade.jpg[/img] For those who are not familiar with these blades, Simplicity offered a grader blade from the 1960s up to the 1990s. The same grader blade will fit all large frame tractors from the B-series Allis through the last Sovereigns made. This includes the Deutz, AGCO, and Massey large frame garden tractors. A grader blade mounts under the tractor between the front and rear wheels and uses the same mounting points and lift as a mower deck. In other words, a grader blade will mount in place of the mower deck without any modifications to the tractor. The grader blade is used primarily for leveling gravel driveways. A grader blade is also known as a center blade, scraper blade, or belly blade. A grader blade works far better and is easier for leveling than a front mounted dozer blade. Here’s a link to the Simplicity grader blade specs > http://www.simpletractors.com/attachments/grader_specs.htm Here’s a link to a B-Series Allis > http://www.simpletractors.com/attachments/42_grader_blade.htm Here’s a link to later model tractors > http://www.simpletractors.com/models/700_series/42_grader_blade.htm Many tractor owners have expressed a desire to own a grader blade, but Simplicity no longer sells new grader blades and used grader blades are relatively scarce. I found a manufacturer of heavy equipment blades that will custom make blades to the exact Simplicity specifications. The Simplicity blade had a straight edge on both sides. Because one edge would never wear out when used with a garden tractor, the manufacturer agreed to make a custom blade with one straight edge and one serrated edge. The serrated edge does a great job of loosening compacted soil and gravel (like a scarifier), and raking out stone and leaves. The blade can be turned over and the straight edge does a great job of giving a smooth and level final grade. Here’s a photo of my tractor with blades mounted front & rear. [img]http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/combo.jpg[/img] I offer the blades ONLY (NOT a hitch) for several reasons. 1) Everyone likes to save money, and a hitch is relatively easy to make or have made. I will supply the plans for a hitch based on measurements from my OEM Simplicity blade. 2) Some people already own a hitch and just want to upgrade to a serrated blade. 3) A front blade hitch can be modified to work with a grader blade. Here’s a photo of a Simplicity front blade hitch that I modified to work as both a front mount or center mount. [img]http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/hitch-mod-seq.jpg[/img] 4) Some people want to mount the blade on the rear. The serrated blade will mount to a Brinly rear hitch, and I will supply the Brinly hitch part numbers. Here’s a Brinly hitch that I modified so that the serrated blade can be flipped over or reversed without using any tools. [img]http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/brinly-seq.jpg[/img] I hope this post has answered all your questions. If anyone has other questions, please post them here so all can read my response.

Sam Ericson 61465 I have your address already Herb, just let me know when you want it mailed.. Sam

Hi Herb, I would like to order one. My zip code is 55343. Please let me know where to send the money. Is there an advantage to putting one under the tractor and one behind like you show in your picture? Thank you for shairing your great ideas and resources! John Richason P.S. I dig the teeth on the front of your tractor. Maybe I should find an emblem of a tongue sticking out for mine since I'm planning on working the 7116 very hard this spring?

dutch, order me up one . zip is 61536, i can provide a business address if it makes shipping more economical. thanks, joel woerner

quote:
Originally posted by jrichason
Is there an advantage to putting one under the tractor and one behind like you show in your picture?
The only advantage in having two blades is if you're extremely lazy like I am. Mounting the blade under the center of the tractor is ideal for grading. When mounted on the rear, the blade is great for pulling material from a pile or raking debris. It only takes a few minutes to change the same blade to a center or rear hitch.
quote:
Originally posted by jrichason
I dig the teeth on the front of your tractor.
The "teeth" were put on (along with horns & headlight "eyes") to scare my grandchildren. I'm trying to build memories for them. Even if the memories are shear terror. }:)
  • Haha 1

quote:
Originally posted by MN_"FISH"
Can you get them anywider?
Yes. I can get them in any width, as long as I place an order for a minimum of 25.

I am interested in a blade, do you also sell the foot stirrups, and bars for bar bell weights, also will these fit the standard grader blade hitch for my big ten without any mods? i am assuming these are 42 inch blades? i didnt see the width of these blades listed. please send prices with shipping to 97402

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
What would be the differance in price for 46" and 48" wide Blades?
Maynard, The difference in price should just be a few dollars. The problem is I have to order the blades at least 25 at a time in the same size.

quote:
Originally posted by poolshark
I am interested in a blade, do you also sell the foot stirrups, and bars for bar bell weights, also will these fit the standard grader blade hitch for my big ten without any mods? i am assuming these are 42 inch blades? i didnt see the width of these blades listed. please send prices with shipping to 97402
Randy, I sell only the blades. The blades are 42" wide, 8" high, 1/2" thick same as OEM. This blade will bolt right up to an OEM grader hitch without any modifications. Hitch plans are included with the blade for those that don't already have a hitch. I sell the hitch plans separately for $15 which is deducted from the price of the blade if the blade is ordered later.

Dutch I'm interested with one concern. What hitch would I'd be needing for a Legacy under mount? Or does the included hitch plans work on the Legacy? Zip Code 21158. kchaffer@att.net Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Legacy
I'm interested with one concern. What hitch would I'd be needing for a Legacy under mount? Or does the included hitch plans work on the Legacy?
Kevin: Just sent you an email with total price. I include EXACT plans for the Large Frame Garden Tractors. The Legacy is even larger. I can supply "universal" plans that customers have used to center mount these blades on other make Garden Tractors. Just remember, these blades are 42" wide. May be small for a Legacy.

I would like to purchase a blade to be used on an AC B112. My zip is 95664. Also need hitch plans for center mounting this blade on the B112, and also the Brinly hitch part numbers for rear mounting. Thanks, Lucius

I need to do some lightweight earthmoving/landscaping this spring. I'm terracing a slope on the side of my house. Has anyone used a B-112 with this kind of blade (either rear or belly mounted) to do something like this? I have either wide or narrow turf tires, no wheel weights and chains. I can till the soil first - the goal here is to avoid doing it with a shovel. I think I'd build a couple retaining walls then try to angle the blade and just keep moving the pile over to fill behind the walls. Ok, the question's out there. If the answers start piling-up, I'll start a separate discsussion thread. Thanks in advance.

Hi Dutch. Decided to spend the rest of the money from the heavy duty blade on one of your grader blades. Zip is 47360. Thanks, Brent

Dutch I'm not sure whats happening With the email but I still haven't received a response on the shipping for a grader blade... Thanks...