Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A GASSER IN A 920?!

ROBBYDOB

WOULD IT BE IMMORAL TO TEMPORARILY REPLACE THE LOMBARDINI IN MY 920 WITH A 19 HORSE TWIN GASSER? I WOULD LOVE TO REBUILD THE DIESEL, BUT TIME AND MONEY ARE A PRECIOUS COMODITY FOR THE NEXT 18-20 YEARS, AND I FOUND TWO OF THESE TWINS AT MY IN-LAWS FARM SUPPLY.

It all depends on how much the parts are for the Lombardini. Also keep this in mind. While Diesels are nice, been selling the bigger liquid cooled ones all my life, their numbers are chicken feed, in that horsepower range, to the number of gas powered air cooled engines produced. And in that horsepower market, those small engines are considered 'throwaway' as they generally to expensive to rebuild by most engine houses. If you consider an average 25-30 hour rebuild at $40 an hour (Thats on the very low end) you have $1000 to $1200 in labor plus parts. They're not cheap either because of their low numbers. Unless you are very aquainted with Diesels some savings on labor is a plus. But they are not as easy to rebuild as the gas powered air cooleds. My thoughts, go gas for the economic side.

If you are gona put a twin gasser in a 920 you will have to cut the framedown to fit the block over the rails. I would not put a engen in that makes you have to do any mods to the frame at all. I just spent about a week changing a 912 frame so i can put a lombardini engen in so i can build a 920. If you would be instread in selling your engen mounts ever i would be enstred in buying them off of you.

Here is a 920 gasser. A 900 frame with a Kohler M20 engine. The other tractor is a 7790 diesel. We were going to change the decals on the 7790 so we could have a 920 Diesel and a 920 Gas.

These tractor pulled against each other, the diesel usually won. With the gas coming in 2nd.