Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I need another job......

Brent_Baumer

So I can bid on all the tractors that have shown up on ebay in the last few days! Can't believe it. Alot of good stuff on there you all should check out if you haven't already. Wish I had more "play" money right now. Actually, some play money would be good. The tractor bank is broke in the Baumer household after the purchase of the HB to trade for the 718H. Do you guys have any special funds for tractors? The boss says no to spending my regular income on tractors. She says the mortgage is more important, so I supplement by doing electrical work on the side and buying and selling some parts and other auction finds. Trouble is I can't seem to keep enough (sometimes any at all like now) in the play money fund. Saw somebody had a PowrMax the other day in the classifieds for $800. I wanted it bad but alas, no cash for it right now. Oh well, other deals will come along. Part of the fun I guess! Brent

Brent, This is why I basically play with junk and try to build something good out of it. I get parts from the local dump, auctions, friends, wherever. My 61 Wards was purchased for $150 with a bad engine. Got the first engine for $25. My AC 716H was purchased for $150, needed a carb, tires, and mower deck. I actually found a carb laying on the ground near the scrap metal pile at the local dump. The AC 712 that I'm currently putting together is built from excess parts that I had or that John Hollyfield gave me. I'll have less than $250 in it counting the engine re-ring, paint, and gas spent going to get the parts. I'd rather build, rebuild or make my own parts than buy a good machine for a big price. If I build it myself, then there is a lot of me in it. This means much more to me than something that I just bought. The amounts that I usually spend are usually less than $100 for each purchase, and this keeps the wife happy and off my case. I'm fixing number three now. Number four is going to be a Sears (Roper) that will get a homemade front end loader. Going to use an AC 410 front end and lengthen the wheelbase. May use AC rear fenders. Will also have power steering using a Mustang rack and pinion. Hydraulics will be purchased one item at a time, but the total cost will only be around $500 to build the loader. I live in a subdivision on 1/3 acre. Getting ready to buy a larger place in a few years when I retire. Got to have the right tools.

I DID get another job........buying and selling used tractor parts:D I buy what most consider to be junk and sell it to others who consider it not to be junk. All the while also keeping a piece here and there for my own use. The hardest part in this job is trying not to keep everything.:p

Brent, Fortunately for me most of the great E-bay stuff has been located in the mid-west which puts it out of reach for me even if I did have the extra $ to think about spending on another tractor. With 3 in the garage and 2 1/2 sitting in other places I have plenty to tinker with. The wife says as long as I can pay for it I can have it:)! So with that in mind I've been buying and selling anything of interest to anyone for years,also doing side work on occasion to keep my hobbies going,it's hard to not just go totally nuts and go into serious debt but I guess as long as I can keep going with a goal in mind and a couple of bucks in my pocket all is well.:p

Brent, You have use your imagination. Here's how to get your next tractor. [url]http://www.governmentgrant.com/[/url]

Woody, I hear that guy on the radio going crazy all the time. Sure looks and sounds like a man I would trust - not. There was a guy on TV 15 years ago named Charles J. Givens who had a these schemes for making money and bilking the government out of taxes. Turns out he was apparently bilking people out of their cash too. Think he landed in jail and haven't heard anything of him in years. What's that saying - if it sounds too good to be true....... Brent

Hey Brent. A powr max for 800 bucks! I speak from a little experience here. I bought a System 9020 (sad looking) for $1000 in the hopes I could get my money back and a few key parts for myself by parting it out on eBay. I got my parts and still doubled my money! Of course you can't count the labor in dismantling it but... It was tough (mentally) to part it out but hey some of those parts new are just ridiculusly priced, and some folks don't have that kind of cash to "throw into an old tractor". One parted out tractor could get 10 more back into use.

If it will make you feel any better I just spent $900 for a new motor on my b112. I ran it last summer with a minimal investment, then started buying attachments when I found out how well it worked. From there it progressed to needing a new paint job, etc. The AC dealer out here smiles when he sees me walk in. I spent about $250 on bearings, shafts, and junk parts for a snow thrower and a tiller. I found the last two on a junk pile and re-built them. Unfortunately, the junk was at my dealer's. Now his brother has decided to re-build an AC. I almost had a grader blade for $20 before he decided that.

Brent, I have the opposite problem. My job gets in the way of playing with and fixing tractors. I need to win the lottery so I don't have to waste time working at that pesky job... more time for tractors. I have 6 working tractors (1 needs a BGB rebuild) 2 pulling tractors (they require a lot of time), 3 non running tractors that need to be fixed up.

Brent; Sounds like you have some of the same problems I have. My wife just doesent have her priorities straight. She thinks a new dishwasher is more important than the 9020 deck I am rebuilding. I can make a 4 course meal in one dish. Who needs a dishwasher? I too have to try to keep the money separate. Problem is, I love working on this older stuff and shes starting to keep track of my time. Says Im only making 2.00$ an hour. Im gonna propose to her that I will buy her the dish washer if I can use it to clean my parts. What a time saver. I could move right up to 4.00$ an hour. Hang in there. Never surrender, Ken

Somebody bought that heavy duty blade I had on ebay that didn't sell. He is supposed to pick it up this afternoon and pay cash. Then, I'm gonna go buy that $50 48" deck off a 3415H down the road if it is still there. I'll also have a small positive balance in the tractor fund again - yippee! Brent

Het Brent! i know all about tractor fund depletion. got real low after bieng laid off for four months! and i had to rid myself of 18 tractors so i could move. (still waitng for the rest of my ens of that deal:( !!) back to work now still got my 101, jacobsen and just picked up at green and yellow (sorry) my Ac's i had went home with your hb 112!

I wish I had enough money to buy more tractors. I have been working 4 hours a week for 2 months a year for the last two years plus what ever odd jobs I can find. I managed to get a 7790 and a 9020 on this and a 86 ford bronco II but the later sucks so much money that I cant keep the tractors running even though I dont drive it much. So Ill keep on pluggin away and maybe some day get them all running at once!

What do Time, Space and Money all have in common ? It's not how much you have, it's how you manage what you have! Is there ever enough money ? Do we ever have enough space in the garage ? Is there ever enough time between working, the family and doing hobbies ? Why is it that 1 tractor is great at first, but then we say well if I had another one I could______________________ etc.. Or it was such a great deal I couldn't pass it up, or it was free. But you know what ? we all enjoy doing it so who cares ? the wives care. Good luck with the hobby. Al

Hey Brent, Maybe this summer you should send your fleet and crew into town to do some custom yard work!8D After meeting you and then stopping by Tim's(AKA tractorfreak3)to clear out his AC collection my tractor fund has bottomed out!! The 108 gallons of fuel for the trip put the last nail in the coffin!! The bad thing is.....when the funds are gone is when you come across the best deals!!