Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7116H rear lift

burnerbrown

I have a tiller but do not have the rear lift, let alone an electric one. Dealer wants $200. I have been scoping ebay and our classifieds with no luck. Any ideas of where to come up with a used one? I'm trying to decide if making one would be a mess. The hydro makes for a tight fit. Any suggestions....

Make it yourself for less than $20. Follow the instruction in this link and add a cable. Don't really need the pulley but it makes it easier. http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/rear_hitch.htm Don't forget the double idler/rear PTO setup the tiller requires also. That'll run you over $100 too if you don't have it.

The rear lifts will go on Ebay used for just about what you will pay for one from a dealer. Do you have hydraulic lift on the tractor. Most tractors with hydrostatic have it. Also you can go to [url="http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/rear_hitch.htm"]Simple Tractors Lift Group[/url] in the do it your self section and there is info on makeing one [url="http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/rear_hitch.htm"]Simple Tractors Lift Group[/url]

Mike, I haven't tried to run a tiller without it but is seems to me the belt would be too long or get thrown or both. I have had the same tiller and double idler on a 7010, 3416H and 916H and it worked fine. If you don't need it on these series tractors then what is it for? Brent

Great feedback... Looks like I can get the cable from the dealer for about $35. The lift shouldnt take too long. I do have the pulley tensioner which came with the tiller, without it the belt would be too long. Unfortunately my 7116h does not have the hydrolic lift, we'll see how lifting the tiller manually goes and maybe I'll add hydrolics later. I told the wife, don't be surprised if you you come home and the whole property is tilled......

I have a 7116H with the hydaulic lift and part of the rear lift. I don't have a mower deck but have the cable dangling under the tractor. How is the cable routed to the rear lift? Thanks. Dennis

Dennis, It runs off your hydraulic lift up to a pulley, then straight back to the rear of the tractor under the seat and attaches to the lift bracket. The cable you're looking at is probably the one for the mower deck which is a different cable.

John, Thanks, it is the cable for the mower deck that I'm looking at. I'll have to see about getting the proper cable for the rear lift since I need a weight box for traction and plan to attach it to the rear lift. Dennis

All of the tractors with the cone clutch uses a direct belt to the rototiller (there is an overcenter idler to maintain belt tension on the rototiller). The pre cone clutch tractors (before 1972) uses the double pulley set up with a belt tightener idler as a clutch. If you are using a post 1972 rototiller it would spin very slow with the double pulley set up. I guess it would work fine to use a pre 1972 tiller with a cone clutch tractor and the double pulleys if you spring load the idler to keep it engaged?? as there is not any lever to connect the clutch arm to.

Just Listed on Ebay Simplicity Rear Lift Kit/Sovereign Tractor [url]http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_dae6284b57f2d99f01820f31df92d8dd/i-1.JPG[/url]

quote:
Originally posted by MikeES
Note: The 7116 does not need the double pulley set-up.
Mike, It needs to be pointed out that the 36" tillers for the 3400,7000, and 7100 series "DO" have a double pulley set that the belt runs through going from the PTO clutch pulley to the tiller drive pulley. The double pulleys consists ov a V pulley that the belt rides on on both sides of the pulley and a flat idler over the top sandwiching the top of the belt to the top side of the V pulley. All it is is a guide basically, to keep the belt straight out the back of the tractor as the tiller is raised up and down. This so the belt does not rub anything its not suposed to. Also , if your 7100 series is new enough to have the side mounted transmission filter you also need a single idler pulley kit to bolt to the tractor frame to run the belt up over the filter.

Sam, you are correct. I was interpreting the double pulley (term usually used for the pre cone clutch tractors) as the clutch set up vs. the "guide" pulleys needed for the cone clutch tractors.