Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Stuck Hydro Transaxle

MikeES

Last weekend I traded a 4-speed transaxle for this 916H without an engine. The tractor was hoisted out of the mud and dropped on my trailer.

When I got it home ... I could not move it:(, the transaxle is stuck. The hydro valves are depressed, the hydro is full of fluid, but the axle does not even budge. I will eventually take it apart, unless anyone has any ideas on what is wrong or how to fix it without disassembly.

Mike, First thing that I would try is to remove the two frewheeling valves and see if it rolls. If it does, then the valves are stuck or plugged. If it doesn't then there is probably something wrong in the hydraulic motor portion of the transaxle.

Mike, when you say "dropped on my trailer", are you speaking literally? Did it roll before you loaded it? I had a 917H that was pushed OFF of a trailer while the owner was attempting to unload it in my yard. It locked up. Hopefully this is not your problem, but when I disassembled the hydro, the caps for all the pistons in the drive motor were broken off and the carrier for the pistons was twisted into a ball. If I remember correctly, the parts alone were close to $300. We installed a used hydro rear end instead. Pat

Yes, the brake is released. And the tractor was carefully placed in my trailer (enclosed). The shop that I got it from claimed it rolled around last fall just fine. I was concerned about the hydro motor, so I have not forced the issue. I will try pulling the valves. It may something else, in the gear train, as the tube axle does not rotate even a smidgen.