Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Is JC Penny like MTD

Leroy

My mother in law asked me to remove this riding mower. The sticker says by JC Penny. it's preety much there but the mower deck is a bolens and the sheet metal is not bolted and various unknowns. i was told the engine ran it's a 18 hp Briggs vert shaft. Im thinking the mower deck is prolly the best part for resale. Thanks for any info. Leroy

The model you are speaking of sounds like a Murray built machine. Check the steering column connection to the steering gear. If it is connected with a round disc that appears to be made rubber belting, it is a Murray. Pat

It might be an MTD. I have an MTD built Montgomery Wards, piece of junk. Some JC Penny's were simplicity but they would have a horizontal shaft. But if its for free I think you should take it! Good luck. -Chris

NOMA also built JC Penney lawn tractors about 10-15 years ago. I had one that I bought about 1990. Either Murray or MTD bought NOMA some time later in the 90's...

Thanks for the help. It was free. I did pick it up. It took a tow strap, tilt trailer a ratchet strap tie down two Concrete blocks a floor jack and 2 4x4 chunks of wood. Because the rear tire was loose on the rim and the wheel didnt go all the way on the axel my bro inlaw had partially disassebled it and it got a bit rusty before it became a nuisance and his mom wanted it gone. 45 minutes of time not to much for a freebee and I only had to drive 5 miles. It has the Rack and Pinion style of stearing no rubber. Grass Handler in on the yellow hood/sheet metal. Gas tank is in the back. I have never heard it run. Steel sleeved engine is on the sticker on the engine so maybe there is hope. » » » þ