Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Battery for Big Ten

laney

I just bought a heavy duty lawn and garden battery for my big ten and it just does not seem to have the power to turn my motor over fast enough to start. Is there a better size battery to use instead of a lawn and garden? scott

I use lawn and garden batteries on all of my tractors, 61 Wards, 77 AC 716H, gonna use one on the AC 712S, Sears Suburban. If wires are good, no corrosion on the connections, and starter is in good condition, a heavy duty lawn and garden battery should work fine.

Here's a dumb question for you Scott.... Have you checked the starter/generator belt? If this is loose it won't crank over very well.

Start by checking every connection in the starting circuit. Any corrosion, loose connections, etc can reduce the voltage seen at the starter. A battery connector molded on the wire might appear clean but be loose on the heavy feed wire. (Had that happen to me) Also could be corrosion inside the starter button (longshot). The battery on my 716 is a NF22 size battery(looks like a small car battery with round posts), had to go to a battery supply house for it. The local discount stores only carry the smaller batteries with the flat lug terminals. My 718 has a small battery in it and it starts just fine.

Hook jumpers from your car to the tractor. If it cranks like it should, tractor battery is probably the problem (too small or low on charge). If still does not crank properly, problem is in tractor other than battery.

Scott, It's not a dumb question. I just had the same problem with my 7116 and the Lawn and Garden battery was the problem. The previous owner had modified the battery box to use the smaller Lawn and Garden battery and they don't have the 390 Cold Cranking Amps called for in the manual. The one I bought had only 140. When I put the proper sized battery (NF22)in it remedied the problem. I thought that I had a starter problem!