Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sickle bar mower questions

DGBork

Hi folks, I have been thinking about fitting a sickle bar mower to my Simplicity 725, but have a few questions for those of you who have used a sickle bar mower: I would use the mower to clean up a 1.5 acre pasture about 3-4 times per year. I would use it to cut down the ungrazed (sheep pasture) areas of the field, and to cut down weeds before they go to seed. Can the sickle set-up handle thick grass/weeds? How quickly can you mow with the sickle bar mower? 2nd gear or 3rd gear? The tractor has a 15hp Briggs replacing the 7.25hp original engine - I would hope to be able to mow in 3rd gear?? Other than the "cool factor" of the sickle bar mower, is there any real advantage of the sickle mower over the 42 inch mowing deck? I would think that the sickle bar mower wouldn't clog in thick grass the way the mower deck does?? Thanks for any advice! Dave Borkman Saunderstown, RI

quote:
Originally posted by DGBork
Can the sickle set-up handle thick grass/weeds?
Yes...... That's what they're made for.
quote:
How quickly can you mow with the sickle bar mower? 2nd gear or 3rd gear?
You can mow as fast as the sickle will cut. Ground speed is usually about as fast as a fast walk. Either 2nd or 3rd gear.
quote:
Other than the "cool factor" of the sickle bar mower, is there any real advantage of the sickle mower over the 42 inch mowing deck? I would think that the sickle bar mower wouldn't clog in thick grass the way the mower deck does??
Non-clogging is one advantage the sickle has over the rotary deck. Just remember, what the sickle cuts will be full length, not "mulched" like a rotary mower. The sickle will also cut weeds that are below grade and trim hedges. The sickle will also cut growth up to 1/2" thick. The rotary mower will usually just bend that type of growth over and "skin it."

we mow allot of hay with a sickle mower on a tractor. Grass will mow harder than alffa or clover. expcly blue grass mowes really hard because it is fine. We can mow with a tractor about 6-7 MPH in clover.

Gang, Remember not to overspeed the sickle bar. Overspeed will break the bar at the oscillating lever attachment point. Many posts here about that and maximum speed. Just a caution,

I have two sickle bar mowers. One for parts and one to use. They are wonderful for cutting tall grass and weeds. The only drawback (and its a big one) is that they break frequently. And when they break, guess what, parts are rare unless you have a spare unit or get lucky on ebay. I dont use mine too much for this reason. But, they are perhaps the BEST tool for what you need to do there...... If you get one, take GOOD care of it! stinkie