Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Value of 4040?

Bunky

I saw a 4040 for sale today at a dealer it had a mower deck,tiller and front end loader.. They were asking $6500 it seemed kind of High priced but it appeared to be in good shape.... Is this a fair price ?8D

It seems hight to me. 2 weeks ago I bought a Power Max (newley rebuilt motor) with loader, deck, bushhog, sickle bar mower and blade for alot less. ^

• 3 weeks later...
I'm no expert, but my "Used Tractor Price Guide," 2002 edition, which has no listing for Simplicity, lists a 1976 Kubota L175C, a 15 horse tractor, as between $1,480 and $2080, depending on condition. A 1978 Yanmar 19 horse from $1,180 to $1,580. It sound to me like the price they're asking is pretty high, based on this info. Seems the tractor should be worth $2,000 absolute max, then figure the accessories. My neighbor bougth a bush how for our collective 4040 for $25. Unusually low, but I'm not sure there is a big market for 4040 stuff. Regards, George Holmes

Yea, I looked for an AC720 or Powermax for several years and finally just gave up as the asking prices were incredible for a 20+ year old gas tractor. Ended up buying a Kubota B6100 deisel(in excellent shape) for less than half what I could buy a so-so AC 720 for. Just didnt make any sense to me. Esp. after hearing horror stories about $3000 Onan CCKB engine rebuilds!

Les, I have experienced exactly what you went through in searching for 4040/720 tractors. I would still like to have one but realistically the Kubota is the way to go as parts and accessories are abundant compared to the old 4040's and that little diesel engine is a lot tougher than any Onan. I suppose those old 4040's have slipped into an exclusive collector catagory which is ok because in thier day they were THE compact tractor to have and good examples of them should be preserved.