Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How I got my alice

DonNewberry

DonNewberry
I'm curious as to what go people into the ownership of the AC tractors. I will share my story in the hopes of getting other people to do the same. I was using a ride king three wheel mower for my 2 acres. Yes, I got it for free. Then one day, a girl who was staying with the neighbors asked to use it when their John Deere broke down (JD does this on a regular basis, and thats another story). I told her yes and went to work. When I got home she was complaining that it did not work, and there was enough smoke in the yard to fog for mosquitos. SHE DID NOT CHECK THE OIL!No I did not strangle her, tempting, but no. A friend of mine had a cub cadet that was left to him when his father passed away. It had been left behind the house to rot. I got my neighbor and his truck, as well as the friend and off we went to get it. It was covered in filth, had no seat (just a rotting towel) and all the tires were flat. When the three of us could not pick it up we scraped off enough dirt to read what it was. That was when I met alice, and we got her into the truck by backing into a hill and rolling her on. When we got it back to the house we parked it in the neighbor's garage and hosed her off. She was a sorry specimen, and my neighbor cut his finger under the nail half way through when we tried to get the air cleaner off. Yes, Alice wanted a blood sacrifice.

DonNewberry
Alice showed no signs of life, though I'd swear the blood soaked into the metal. We decided to redo the carb. and replace the starter (it was frozen when we connected it directly to the charger) I found our local lawn mower repair man (Dale)who found a starter for $150. I crossed my fingers and paid the price, in desperation since I did not have the money for a new riding mower. However, since it was yelow he bought a cub cadet starter. CUB's run backward as compared to AC, so of course it did not work. He swore he'd get it running. About two weeks later he called to say I'd need a new starter. This he used a starter from some other mower. Alice started running! The mower deck, of course, did not. From there I hit the net, learned of this page, and re-built the mower deck. To my surprise I suceeded. The cost for bearings, shafts, belt, blades, etc. came to anther $150. However, my neighbor swore it was a heavy duty deck. Whenever I doubted this I'd look at the John deere sitting in the other corner of the garage. The 42 inch ac deck did make it look cheap in comparison. When Alice came back from the lawn mower man. I attached the deck and tried cutting. By this time the grass was 6 inches high. To my surprise Alice cut through it like jack the ripper on speed. She shook, she rattled, she blew blue smoke, but she cut. If anyone cares, I'll follow up with the story of my attachments. Don

Don, Nothing like an old AC to mow with is there,^ I have five of them, three running and two I'm restoring. Those AC mower decks sure do a good job on tall grass...^:) Be careful, these tractors can be extremely addictive.[:0]:D:D:D

DonNewberry
see that, you encouraged me mbd. I had paid 350 toward a new engine for the JD that did not run. We split the cost. My neighbor said it would be a good investment since we needed something to cut grass in case my three wheeler failed (does anybody else have one of these?) I was not pleased when the JD lost it's tranny and I wound up driving circles around it in what I thought was a machine on it's dying legs. To my surprise it did not die! I was driving by my simplicity/ ac dealer and decided I wanted a seat. None were available, though the did offer to replace the gas tank for $100. I told them that I'd use a coffee can and rivets before I paid them that for a new tank. However, they had a tiller sitting on the junk pile complete with clutch. Before this, my greatest mechanical accomplishment was getting the ride King to run. I had a basic knowledge of motors, that is give them gas and they run. The ride king was my 8 horse power introduction to carbeurators and what they do. My ignorance was just about total. I knew to change the oil and that was about it. Since I had moved to ND from the pit of a large city (Detroit) I had the idea n my head that country living was for me. (and I was right! I'm not going back to one of those h-holes) So, I said I was interested in the Tiller. They were kind enough to sell it to me, with the new bearings it needed, for $250. I made the seals myself out of felt from Alco. Repairing the tiller took more than I imagined, including the use of fire. However, I did re-build it. This site is what allowed me to do it. I was not prepared for the jealousy of people who found I had a tiller on a lawn mower! They would come by, look at it, and curse! By this point I was becomming fond of Alice and had named her. I was sad to put her away for the winter. Don

I got interested in Simpliciy's because my late Grandfather owned them. He started out with a 700 and in 1967 bought a 2012 Landlord. I spent many hours driving the Landlord around his yard as a kid and loved that machine! He gave it to my Dad shortly before he died in 1989. Without my knowledge Dad gave it away! [:0](I'm still a little steamed over that one.:(!) When I moved into my current house in 2000 I bought a Broadmoor 707 for $200 and fixed it up for my chores. Since then I bought a parts tractor for it for $100, a 717 with snow blade for $150, and a Landlord ( I finally got one like Grandpa's!:D), the last two I am currently restoring. Wouldn't own anything else, and getting a junker and fixing them up is half the fun for me!

My first Simplicity was a 3410 LandLord,purchased from a co worker of my wife.$300.00 got me the tractor,mower deck,and lawn cart.Another $400.00 at the dealer got me a snow blade and chains.That tractor served me faithfully for about 10 years,until the old Briggs started getting tired,and harder to start. Went to about 4 local dealers who told me to junk it,can't get an engine for it,worthless on trade,etc.What to do? Found this website,and found the light! With help from the people here,I was able to repower it with an 11 HP Briggs from EBay.From there it was one after another.Bought a 712 Allis from a co worker,with some attachments.Bought a 2110 with a bad engine.It goes on and on,with no end in site.Up to 10 now.Supposed to go look at a couple more this weekend.....

Stoneheartfarm
Got mine at a yard sale for $450.00. I'd been looking for a beefy little tractor for snowplowing. Got the tractor, deck, front blade (off something else) and a makeshift harrow. Steve

Brent_Baumer
I was the owner of a JD 317 with the infamous KT17 series I engine. Got to looking for attachments for it and found they were ridiculously priced. Then found that I shouldn't mow on hills with the KT17 and had just purchased the hilly property I now live on. Saw the Deutz-Allis 916H for sale at a local junk dealers place. I traded him the 317 and 46" deck plus some cash for the 916H, 48" deck, 42" snow blade, 36" lawn roller, 36" tiller, and 4x8 trailer. Didn't know anything of the Allis-Simplicity relationship at the time. Just knew the 916H was a well built machine that mowed well. Found this club on yahoo and followed it to its present forum. Have owned a 700, 7010, 3416H and AC718H and HB112 since I got hooked. Brent

[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/B-10.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/b10after.JPG[/img] The first two are my B-10, only twenty miles from home. And only $250. Note my homemade seat on the B-10. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/00_00001_4.JPG[/img] This last pic, is my B-207, only $260.

Brent, the guys at the yahoo wheelhorse group have recently been complaining about those KT17's. One guy said he mows only hillside with a KT17 and it does just fine, but many others had nothing but complaints. As far as JD's breaking down frequently I would say that may be true. My uncles JD 316 has a tendancy to do that, but they're always minor problems. I have a JD110 that I got for free, found a new short block for real cheap $250 for a K241AS Kohler, dealer wanted $1000. I hope I dont have problems with it breaking down, but it wont be used much because my Landlord not only has a bigger cut but a better cut too!

DonNewberry
My sucess with the tiller Inspired me to keep searching the dealership junk pile. Tucked away in the back I found a snow thrower. The dealer shook his head, and because he said it was useless to him. He sold it to me for $20. The reason he thought it was worthless was the gear was missing that turned the spout. In addition the clutch was missing a pulley. (There is no gear! it's missing a rod that turns ropes that turn the spout) There was another tiller sitting in the pile! I told Cole Davis about it, since we had been talking about attachments and decals. When I went back a week later there was a grader blade too! However, the dealer informed me his brother has decided to restore a B and the parts are no longer available. AAAAAARGH! When I started Alice this spring she didn't just smoke a little, she smoked a lot! We pulled the motor and I submitted my post "motor advice." Since I have decreased my ignorance by visiting the library and asking people, I was in a little better shape with Alice this time. There was a gap between the piston and the cylinder wall about 1/16 at the top of the cylinder and about 1/8 at the bottom. The motor was only held in by two bolts. I'm not sure how it started or ran myself. Today I bought a trailer to bring Alice home from her painting. Her new motor is on the way. I'll post pictures When she's back with me. Don

I just kinda fell into my first allis.Actually I went to look at a used snowmobile.When I got to the ladies home she said it was out back so away we went.The first thing I saw walking to the shed was an old tractor and tiller.Did'nt think much of it so I went on to look at the sled.Bought the sled for $100 (JD spitfire in really good condition).Then asked about the tractor it was a late B-10 that was complete with tiller and 42" deck.She thought that it was sold,but the guy never came to get it.I offered her $50 she said load it on the trailer.I'm hooked!^

• 1 month later...
DonNewberry
Alice is now back with me. The one week to blast and paint turned into four by the time they were done. The new motor has been here for three weeks. Now, if I can get the wiring right it will be time to till the garden.