Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B series bevel gear box bearings

Thanks Greg for the information and I am sure it will come in handy sometime but hopefully not to soon though.. >>->happyjack<-<<

Well guess what? I just bought a complete set of bevel gear box bearings for my AC B112, from my local bearing distributor. For those unaware, nobody had been able to find the correct ball bearing that's used on both the drive and driven shafts of the BGB. I walked into my place, and offered the challenge. It took him all of 30 seconds to look at mine, and then pluck the replacements off the shelf. No big deal here! The Torrington needle bearing was no problem either, but I didn't expect it to be. I didn't need seals, and didn't think to ask about them, so I don't know about that part. The bearing numbers are as follows: The roller bearing I took out was an SKF 6204. The replacement is an SNR 6204.J30. SNR bearings are made in England, while the SKF bearings were made in the USA. The needle bearing is a Torrington BH1412, which is also made in USA. We mic'd the ID and OD, as well as the thickness. An exact match. $7.04 for the roller bearing and $6.66 for the needle bearing. The place is called South Shore Bearing Distributors, Inc. 111 Copeland Street Quincy, MA 02169 617-471-7800 Greg

Greg, Good job on locating the bearings for your b'box!I beg to differ on you not needing seals,as they are not very expensive and are good cheap insurance on not having any annoying leaks after your done re-assembling the box.Your bearing supplier should be also able to get the right seals for you also.I know my bearing supplier can! Just my 1 1/2 cents and that's all it's worth! Good Luck! dlc

DLC, Of course I need seals!! That's not what I meant, but good catch! I had already bought the seals from Mr. Nemes. My bearings seemed fine when I drained and dis-assembled the gearbox in August. When I picked it up to remove the old, and install the new seals this week, I found all my needle bearings had seized up! And my roller bearings didn't sound too good either. That's why I was even trying to buy locally, rather than support Mr. Nemes. I just didn't want to pay shipping for a small order (sorry Jeff). And by the way, I didn't realize there was a needle bearing on the input shaft until last night, so I had to go back and buy that one today. The only thing I don't like about this replacement is that it has fewer rollers. The original was a Torrington, and the replacement is a "Japan". I know that Harley Davidson switched from a Torrington to a different bearing on the camshaft of the Evolution Big Twin, and this has been shown to result in catastrophic failure of the camshaft as the shaft begins to gall. This has been directly associated to the few number of needles in the newer bearing, and usually begins around 6-7000 miles, while the bearing is only expected to last for 15-20,000 miles max. With that info in the back of my mind, I sort of hate to use this bearing, but the input shaft is mildly galled already, so unless I replace the input shaft as well, I guess it's life expectency is limited. The original input shaft needle bearing number is Torrington J-1210, and the replacement I got is BA1210Z, the name might be IKO. At least those letters are on the bearing. Hope this helps someone sometime. Greg