Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 4211H neutral adjustment

Guest hjelle

Guest hjelle
I am trying to adjust the neutral position on my Simplicity 4211H. After sliding the bracket for the shift lever all the way forward as indicated in the manual, the tractor still moves slowly backwards with the shift in the neutral position. I need to move the bracket about another 1/8 inch forward to solve the problem. Other than the neutral problem, everything seems to be working fine. Any suggestions? Thank you! dhjelle@otpco.com

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hjelle
I inspected the linkage. There was some wear, but not enough to cause the problem. The key on the transmission shaft was slightly sheared so I replaced it with a new one. No improvement. I looked at enlarging the bolt slots on the shift bracket but I didn't get far filing chrome. Finally I decided to drill two additional holes in the tractor frame to allow me more adjustment in the bracket. Everything is now working as it should. Thank you.

On my AC716H, the neutral gate will allow a slight creep in either direction depending on whether the clearance is at front or rear. This is without the brake being set.