Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Louvering a hood

SmilinSam

Michcruiser60
Being in a custom car club here in Michigan there are a couple of guys that do louvering. I heard last year they were getting $1.25 to $1.50 per louver. Its kinda neat too, there are two different styles of louvers that I'm aware of. Squared off and the older style rounded end type. If the hood is fairly flat they can get to it pretty good, it makes for an easy job. The car guys sometimes put a rain pan tacked under the hood. Not sure if you'll need that or not. I'd ask a few of the older car guys about it. It's a dieing art nowadays.:(

I want to cut a few louvers in the hood of my 720 to let the heat out. My wife has a relative that works on custom street rods(since you mentioed car club) so I 'll try asking him. Thanks, Sam

When I was doing my time in the U.S.N. we had a special machine in the sheet metal shop for making louvers.;)

Sam, You can try making a mandrel of the inside shape of the louver (grind a piece of steel to shape then weld to a piece of 3/4 inch rod). Then fill a leather or canvas bag with lead shot or BBs. Cut slits where you want the louvers. Turn the hood upside down on the bag. Then form the louvers with the mandrel by pounding it with a hammer. After the rough shaping is done, the hood can be turned over and the mandrel placed inside the louver, then do the final shaping with a small ball peen hammer. At least this is the way I would attempt it if I didn't have a machine to do it with.

Many electrical cabinets are louvered find one and cut out the size of one you like, cut that spot out of the hood. Then comes time to see how good your body shop skills are.

Sam: I have (had?) a louver die. They’re still made. Check it out > http://209.238.153.119/louver.html [img]http://209.238.153.119/Louver.gif[/img]

They used to sell pre cut louver panels out of JC Whitney I think. What sort of body work is involved in putting them in?

A little bit of cutting. A little bit of overlap forming. A little bit of welding/brazeing. A little bit of heat srinking. A little bit of grinding. A little bit of body putty. A little bit of sanding. A little bit of primer. A little bit of sanding. A little bit of paint. A little bit of skill. A little bit of luck. and it will look like they were always there

Check with Jeff Ghindea. His dad put louvers in the hood of his powermax (if he still has it)and it looked very professional as did the entire tractor.

Gee Maynard, If it was a 300/400 series hood I could get away easy and just pop rivet them on. It would look just like the rest o fthe tractor on those models:D

Sam, If you had a Deere or Cub you could just run a circular saw down the hood a couple times and call it good!!:D

Michcruiser60
Say Dutch, I went to that web site. That looks like it would really work. I don't think I've ever seen a louver making tool at 99 bucks before. They are so expensive you never see them anymore. This one I might even check into.8D Always wanted to learn how. I've seen some of those little cars before. Kinda neat... I think they all run motorcycle engines. Never seen em run though.

I may and take Rods suggestion and try that on a old hoood in the scrap pile. If I can get some decent looking results I'll do it on the real thing. Sam

• 2 weeks later...
Sam, If you try my idea, be sure to let me know how it worked. I been thinking of doing that myself. I was going to put on side panels with louvers. Did the panels without louvers on the AC716 when we were pulling it. It looked really good with the orange side panels to match the hood and dash. For a work tractor you need the air flow, and the louvers could fix that.

thedaddycat
The dies are 90, the bead roller machine is another 250-300 depending on which one you get.... Seems a bit pricey for just a few panels for yourself, how much to have this kind of work done at a local sheet metal shop?