Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

another backsaver

Had these clothesline poles in the dog yard,always worried about the dogs running into them while playing.Ground was real wet,and the lift rod sucked 'em right out-they were in about 3'.That's the kind of lifting that just wrecks my back! Then I went around and pulled all the T stakes from the pasture,which I am going to re-do.Also using the bucket almost daily for everything you can imagine-Love my Sov! CJ

Gee Charlie, I found a steel rod about 4' long that fit in the rear lift so it works like a boom pole but I never thought of leveraging out fence posts. Thanks for a neat idea! Larry KG4ZAR

Brent_Baumer
Good idea Dogman. As stated before, don't really care for dogs but did hear this about cats and dogs the other day. Thought it was pretty accurate being a married cat Owner. Dogs have masters and cats have staff..... Dogs are like men and cats are like women. Men and Dogs: Man wants to eat, dog wants to eat. Man wants to play, dog wants to play. Man wants to take a nap, dog wants to take a nap. Men and Cats Man wants to play, cat wants to sleep................Brent

That's pretty good Brent!...I was worried about 'straining' the lift,but it could have pulled a lot more,no problem.Had the chain so it would just slip down when I lowered the rod-kept thinking about all the posts I have pulled by hand! I think it would have a hard time in dry ground,but it would at least keep upward pressure on while you wiggled it loose? CJ

Stoneheartfarm
Now if you can just figure out a way to make it drive the posts. :)That would sure ease my back. Steve

Steve-I use a driver now,weighted pipe with two handles-sure you are familiar with it? It works real good for T stakes if the ground isn't too rocky.For all the more I run fence wire it has served me well.(I'll probably have to get Barb's son to help me this year,though-I don't think my back can take much of that).

Stoneheartfarm
My back don't like it much either. :( Did you have much problem with the clothesline post wanting to fall over when lifted? Seems like you have to be pretty careful to keep one hand on it while lifting. Steve

Steve-I have my seat switch bypassed-(of course),so I can work the lift standing next to the tractor.(Barb worked the lift while I held the clothespoles,though).CJ

Love my Sov.....boy i hear ya what a hand little unit....i used my lift to skid cedar logs last summer Charlie....with the power and size these tractors can do some interesting work.... Doug

Doug-I was trying to find that rig that John from Jbjr put up a while back,almost like a 3pt hitch that he was talking about building? That looks like it would be just the deal for skidding logs-(and other things).Did you see that?...If I can't find it I'll write him.CJ

Dogman:,Great Idea Indeed,Glad you like your tractor.I love my Agco918.I have often thought of making a boom for my Agco918 but need to make a 3 point hitch of somekind.Saw somebody ,maybe John is who had it ,3point hitch on back of soverign.If SIMPLICITY,would have made a 3 point and put a diesel engine in them .

Chad-I talked to John about that hitch,he said it wasn't ready yet-possibly too heavy? My big mule Jake can skid more in one pull than any of my machines,but if there isn't any snow it kind of hard because it digs in and he gets tired faster-(he's about 20 yrs old).I'm pretty happy with my gas engines,but I hear ya about the 3pt-that rig John put up looked pretty good-made me think skid as soon as I saw it.We'll just have to keep bugging him!..CJ

Here they are. Enjoy! :D [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/jbucketman/3ptlhclose.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/jbucketman/3ptlrdn.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/jbucketman/3ptlrup.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/jbucketman/3ptrrdn.JPG[/img]

Thanks John-I can think of all kinds of good stuff to do with that-looks like it would pick a log up pretty high,and it doesn't LOOK too heavy-what does it weigh? CJ

Thanks Slippery Dogman, It weighs about 25 #'s not including the reicever. I will have to sacrafice some of the hieght to increase the capacity John

John-if somebody made a simple bar to go in that sleeve with a welded ring on the end,you could get your chain around the log,run it through the ring,drop the hitch all the way down on the log,take up the slack and 'pin' it with a bolt or clevis.Raise the lift and away you go.I can also see a way to use a cable choker with a 'slip and grab' type attachment on the end,and/or log 'tongs' that you could just lower and grab with.If you pick up the narrow end,and drag the butt,I think you might be surprised how big a log you can pull with a little sovereign!(not to mention the other things you could do with that rig).dogman

Charle, Could you send me a napkin sketch of what your thinking of. Not sure I follow. John

John,hOW MUCH ARE YOU Talking price wise for the 3 point setup?I dont need the receiver just would like everything else.Wish you could Build factory 1 point hitches.I have one my boss made last yr from brents drawings that he was kind enough to give me.Just dont have $200.00 for the factory one.If you could build them for half that or less i might be interested in the factory 1 point hitch.

John-I will try to do that.Chad-you may not need the receiver,but would it get in the way for what you want?...think of all the things you could slide in there to adapt for the future unknowns!!(ha ha)CJ:D