Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Removing Decals and Decal Glue

Brent_Baumer

Hi all. Been taking the decals off the Deutz so I can give it a more appealing paint scheme. The hood stripes are coming off hard, and once off there is a bit of adhesive residue left in alot of areas. Ordinarily I'd just sand everything down to the metal re-prime and paint and wouldn't worry too much about it but I don't want to go that far on this tractor, I plan on just priming and painting over the green paint job. Anyone have any tricks to make decal and decal glue removal easy? Thanks, Brent

Easyoff oven cleaner Test on paint first. All so a product called Googone will remove some decals and the glue residue. Easyoff oven cleaner will all so remove sign painters paint on truck doors etc. 3M makes a disk you can use in your drill to remove decals.

I've had good luck with just scrubbing the residue off with mineral spirits... which is safe on old paint.

I took off my pressure sensitive Sunstar decals with a heat gun. Warm them up (hot) and they peel right off.

Thanks for the quick replies. Thought about the mineral spirits because I have some on the shelf but was too afraid to try it. Now I won't be. I'll give that a shot first. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//uploaded/Brent_Baumer/glue.jpg[/img] Brent

Brent, I even use mineral spirits as my final "wipe-down" before I do one of my "spray-can" specials. It evaporates quickly, and gets rid of any grease, residue, dust, etc. For the kinds of "el cheapo" jobs I do, it actually works as good as a tack cloth... As long as the primer is good and dry, and you don't use a whole lot of the stuff, it doesn't seem to damage a prime coat.... it's especially helpful after wet-sanding to clean up the messy residue. i'm sure the pros would shudder over my "techniques, or lack thereof" but they work for me... :)

Brent,In the bodyshops we use a stripe-eraser.Its a little rubber wheel on a arbor and you put it into a drill motor and go at it.You can remove decals without harming the paint.They will also remove the glue and gooye stuff.There is several different brands but the good ones are made by 3M.I don't have the part number handy but if you do a search you might find a reply I posted a year or so ago that has the part number in it.They only cost about $15-$20 and would probably last for about 50+ tractors. LOL.

Brent,Below is the reply that I made to another post.Also I think Napa has these.
quote:
I do body work on cars and for removing decals on cars and my tractor projects I use what they call a STRIPE OFF WHEEL made by 3M PART #07499.Its like a big rubber earaser that you use with a electric drill.You can remove decals without damage to the paint and it will remove the glue so there isnt really any clean up afterwards.You should be able to get one at a local auto body and paint store I think for around 15.00.There are cheaper ones but they dont last very long.Hope this helps Kevin M.

Thanks for the tips guys. I used a heat gun to remove the decals off the hood of a t-13 and it left a sticky residue. I am going to buy a stripe off wheel today and I hope it works. JH

When I was working in the body and paint shops, I used a heat gun to soften the adhesive on any decals and they will come right off. Then, any glue residue can be removed with a little bit of automotive paint reducer on a rag. It won't harm the paint, but takes the glue off easily. Get the reduce at any auto paint supply house like NAPA.

All of the above are good ideas, and work because the factory paint is so tough. Even hardware store paint stripper has to sit quite a while to lift this paint. I have used this stripper to take off decals and adhesive - just apply and remove within about 3 minutes and the factory paint is essentially untouched by the stripper. Tom

In my experience, it's very difficult to clean WD-40's silicone off, and you can't paint over it -- it bubbles and blisters like crazy if you do. I quit using WD-40 on my tractors because of this experiece earlier when I was "salvaging" my Big Ten. I use PB Blaster as a "penetrating oil" and 3-in-1 oil for lubrication....

A little heat from a torch for about 2 seconds allows me to scrape the decals off pretty easy but leave alot of glue. The mineral spirits are working well. The rag needs to be pretty well soaked to make it easy going. Using a plumbing torch is a little scary. Afraid I'm gonna damage the paint. Just tried it on a small area. May see if we have a heat gun at work I can borrow, or hair dryer?

Brent good luck on the silver stripe. I just removed the decals from a 917 (the black and silver stripe). The black stripe came off with the heat gun, I could not touch the silver stripe with heat, nor abrasive wheel, nor scraper. I sand blasted it off, and used more sand to remove the two silver stripes than rest of the hood combined.

When I took the decals off the hood that I am using for the 712S tractor, I used a razor blade and then removed the adhesive with kerosene. It all came right off.

25+ years auto painter; what i do is use a heat gun to remove vinyl, then use acrisol to remove all adhesive, get acrisol at any auto paint store, napa also sells it, just tell them what your doing they will get you the right products for the job.

I've come across this liquid called "Goo-Gone". It works great! You can get it at any hardware store. It's made to remove the adhesive from stickers and decals. I took the ID plates off my Ski Doo with it. Those decals were there from 1971. Smells like oranges. I've been wanting to try some of this new orange cleaner you see around lately. I always use the hair dryer first then any adhesive thats left I use the Goo-Gone.

Hi Brent, For decals have you tried Norm Steinman of Norns Toys. He should have what you want. 212 S Main Street Bourbon, IN 46504 Day: 574-342-4545 Evening: 574-342-4668 http://www.normstoys.com

Thanks Kenny. Didn't know of them. Just emailed Norm. Planning on painting all the green metal on the Deutz yellow, leaving the frame black, and calling this tractor an "HB-916" if I can find the decals. I quit the job I had where I worked with a sign maker so no longer have access to cheap repro decals. Norm doesn't list any prices so I don't know if I'll go that route. Brent