Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

"Putting away our mower decks for the winter the w

Ok let's here from tractor owners the write way to retire our mower decks for the winter-proventive measure's and all. Yes this might seem "trivial" but let's not assume everyone know's as we do have members and non that might not know how. We don't want any rusted out decks come spring let alone a broken belt or belts come spring on start up so let's here how you do it ok. Thanks->happyjack<-

Mine is laying out back right where I unloaded it when I brought it home last spring. It is covered though. With about 2' of snow :o) It'll stay dry 'til mid April. Perhaps the tractor will be ready to use it next summer.

I keep mine well greased and oiled and I usually clean the bottom and leave the deck on the tractor up on blocks in the garage at my cabin.

I just take mine off the tractor and sit it along the side wall in the garage. Sometime before spring I will put it on the bench and clean it up and get the blades sharpened and ready for the first cutting. Tim

I remove the deck from the tractor (I use my tractors (5) all year around), clean it up (at least scrape some of the crude off from it), grease the arbors, and uncork the deck belt tension spring (the belt will last almost forever if this is done) and store it in a dry place. Mike.

If anyone hoses them down be sure to remove the belt covers and any grass buildup. Make sure it is allowed to dry thoughly - leaving wet or damp grass sit in there is a sure way to cause deteriation. A cleaned mower is a happy mower = a happy owner! :)

I go thru dry leaves in the fall. The leaves are just abrasive enough to clean out any built up grass, park it all in the shed and do the general maintence in the spring.

Sounds as though some owners have some good practice's for storing their decks. I for one normally use at least one of my tractor's to mulch leave's and like one member said it sure will clean the underside of the deck. But on a couple of other tractor's I don't so then I scrap the underside as clean as possible with a puddy knief and then I use a portable hand grinder with a wire cup installed on it and finish the job of cleaning the undersides. But I take the blades off first and use the wire cup on them also and then sharpen them. I pull the belt cover's off and clean everything out-grass-dirt ect. Like another member said I check the belt and if it is still useable and if so I just release the tension on it. Grease the decks that require it at the spindles and then spary them with something like WD-40 covers included-reinstall the blades and belt covers leaveing them the covers loose untill spring. One more thing I touch up the blades during the cutting season about 4 times and at that time I also pull the belt covers and not only check the belt but remove the grass at the same time. It amazes me how much grass and dirt can get inside those covers and at times come in contact with the belt and pulleys causing the belt to graze up and slip. I just hate to buy a decent tractor and have a deck and its cover rusted out. Thanks for everyone's input and Best to all->happyjack<-