Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

voltage regulators

stinkie

My voltage regulator is bad on my landlord 66, preventing proper charging of the battery. If I can find a regulator that looks the same and has the same mounting bolt pattern at an auto parts store, it should work, right? Are all these things basically the same? Thanks stinkie

I brought mine to an elecrical shop that rebuilds starters and generators. They used a wire wheel to clean up the ends where the mount bolts are located. Under the paint was a series of model numbers. They used those numbers for a replacement. Good luck, John H

Just because it looks the same and has the same mountings does not mean it will work. Try a good electrical shop and they can help you. There are other regulators t hat will work that look different. When I was looking for one for mine, the original number was no longer available but another regulator that was smaller worked just fine. I did have to drill a new mounting hole though. I will look for the part number tonight when I get home and post tomorrow if no one else has a number.

I forget but on these tractors with starter Generators there is a different about the regulators.. seems like they kick in at a lower voltage or something like that.. But I was told from the shop were I got my starter generator rebuilt, there was something to that efect

I bought a new regulator at the auto parts store yesterday and it worked like a charm. There IS a difference between the regulators for a generator and those made for an alternator. All I did was told them that I had an old tractor with a starter/generator on it and they fixed me right up. If anybody needs the part #s from my new one I would be happy to provide them. Thanks for the help.....