Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Battery for Simplicity 4211

Guest hjelle

Guest hjelle
I have a fairly new car battery that is not being used and the battery in my Simplicity 4211 is on it last leg. Is there any reason that I shouldn't use the car battery in my tractor? I would have to change the cable ends, but it looks like there is plenty of room for a larger battery. Thank you, Dean dhjelle@otpco.com

Dean, Here's the two most common battery types and their dimensions: 22NF......9 7/16L 5 1/2W 8 15/16H Hold downs on the bottom ends. 51........9 3/8L 5 1/16W 8 13/16H Hold down over the top.

I bought a battery from Wal-Mart for $10 after a $5 core charge on the old one. Works good, only wish the tractor itself would run right. I tuned it out smooth and now it just wants to cut off if it's not wide open and it wants to blow up if it's over wide open.

Guest hjelle
It looks like the recommended battery is 39 amps and my car battery is 400 amps. I asked an engineer at work. He said he uses a car battery in his John Deere all the time. However, there is some question about the generator possibly overloading if tractor is used when the car battery is dead or near dead. Does anyone else have any experience with this? Thank you

• 3 weeks later...
I've used a car battery on my 4208 (much the same as the 4211) for many years with no problems whatsoever. Just needed new cable ends and battery fixings to stop it moving around.

Instead of changing the cable ends, you may want to get the adapters that bolt onto the regular battery termials and have wingnut connectors on them. These are available so you can use regular car batteries in cars that originally had side terminals, or use a car battery in a boat for a starting battery. I have those on a couple of Type 51 batteries in my tractors.