Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

"NEW" FED REG ON TRAILER TOWING!

Rob-B

First I know this doesn't have to do with tractor directly but I know there are members here who tow a trailer and don't read anything in the coffee shop. Please read this link, that was forwarded to me from the Unoffical Allis Forum. http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_view.asp?mid=92967&mtop=092967&mtext1=&mtext2=&morder=&mnext=92967 Now when you read this article please post back and explain this to me in terms that I can really understand. The way that I read it is if my jeep cherokee and my trailer weigh more than 10,000 lbs unloaded,I have to have D.O.T. numbers displayed on my jeep. In return that means I now need a CDL liesence, D.O.T. med card, etc. etc.? PLEASE HELP! ROB

Rob, There's a later topic on Unofficial Allis that clarifies this: http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_view.asp?mid=93069&mtop=093069&mtext1=&mtext2=&morder=&mnext=-1 His summary:
quote:
[To sum things up simply (I hope) If you are using you truck-trailer for pleasure (IE going to tractor shows or going after parts, tractors etc as a hobby and your combination is under 26,000 GVW then you do NOT fall under federal regulation, period. AND other states MUST follow your home state's laws. Legal at home, legal everywhere. IF you are over 10,000 lb GVW and hauling commercialy then you are under both Federal law and individual states laws.

Rob That is the way I read it and as it has been. The gent in the first post got fined because he was hauling for someone else. The combined weight means loaded.
quote:
A guy was hauling an M crawler for me today and got fined for no DOT numbers displayed.
That made it commercial. As long as you are hauling your things for your self you are safe.
quote:
To sum things up simply (I hope) If you are using you truck-trailer for pleasure (IE going to tractor shows or going after parts, tractors etc as a hobby and your combination is under 26,000 GVW then you do NOT fall under federal regulation, period. AND other states MUST follow your home state's laws. Legal at home, legal everywhere. IF you are over 10,000 lb GVW and hauling commercialy then you are under both Federal law and individual states laws.
quote:
Regulations § 390.3 General applicability. (f) Exceptions. Unless otherwise specifically provided, the rules in this subchapter do not apply to -- (f)(1) All school bus operations as defined in § 390.5; (f)(2) Transportation performed by the Federal government, a State, or any political subdivision of a State, or an agency established under a compact between States that has been approved by the Congress of the United States; (f)(3) The occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise; (f)(4) The transportation of human corpses or sick and injured persons; (f)(5) The operation of fire trucks and rescue vehicles while involved in emergency and related operations; (f)(6) The operation of commercial motor vehicles designed or used to transport between 9 to 15 passengers (including the driver). However, motor carriers operating these vehicles for compensation are required to comply with 49 CFR 385.21, Motor carrier identification report, 49 CFR 390.15, Assistance in investigations and special studies, and 49 CFR 390.21, Marking of commercial motor vehicles (except § 390.21(b)(1)).
[url="http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rulesregs/fmcsr/regs/390.3.htm"]Federal Motor carrier page[/url]