Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Problem with Flo Jet on B112

wire_it1

Hello I am in need of some help.My B112 is running badly.I took off the carb and cleaned it all out and also upgraded to a Magnatron coil.I have great spark now but can not get it to idle smoothly.One question I have is I made new gaskets for the carb myself with material I got at the local auto parts store and was wondering if the material may be to thick for the diaphram gasket which was very thin.They are cut perfect compaired to the other ones.I also checked for air leaking in the the card with carb cleaner and had no problem there.My only thought would be to buy a rebuild kit and try that.Any help would be very much appreciated....Thanks John

I guess that I would try the rebuild kit. The carb on my 1963 MW gardenmark had a warped bowl. I ended up buying a new carb (cross over flow jet)from JJ Nemes in NJ (it was not cheap ~$120.00) but after 40 years what the heck. If you need the B&S part # let me know. Good luck John H

You might check the side play on the throttle shaft, particularly the end near the engine. These commonly wear and let various amounts of raw air into the mixture depending on the throttle position. This causes a rough running engine. Ed

It is easy to check for these leaks if the engine will run. Get a can of carb cleaner. Install the plastic tube. Fire up the engine. Lightly spray the carb cleaner around the gasket. If the gasket is leaking, the engine will speed up. Also spray around the throttle shaft. If it speeds up, then the throttle shaft and bore is significantly worn. Before you do this make sure you have properly adjusted both the main fuel mixture and the idle mixture.

I had the same problem with my tractor after upgrading to the Magnetron. You have to repolarize the flywheel magnets in order for it to work properly. I dont know whether you have done that already, but if you dont do it, it will seem as though you have a fuel mixture problem even though it is actually an ignition issue. Trust me, I bought a brand new carb to try and solve the problem and it ran the same way. After sending the flywheel back to briggs for a repolarization,(and they do it for free!) the engine runs flawlessly. Have you had your magnets repolarized? stinkie

stinkie asked "Have you had your magnets repolarized?" Gee, I thought that was a personal question?

I had my dog's magnet's repolarized when he was six months old......... He aint been the same since! Has anyone else dealt with this particular problem when converting to the Magnetron?