Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Clutch Chatter?

DaleC

I have a B12 with a clutch problem. When trying to release the clutch, I get a "popping sound" that sounds like gears slipping. No gears are slipping by the way. This started when I installed a new gates drive belt That was a direct replacement of the old one. I do not know that it is a function of the belt, but I suspect that it is in the slip fuction of the drive pulley on the bevel gear box. The sound seems to be caused from the pulley grabbing. I hope that this makes sense to someone. I have used the "new" belt many hours and it has not gotten better. If this problem exsisted before, I never heard it. I am going to be doing some pulling work with the little Bee and I would like to have the problem solved before hand. Any Ideas? Dale Conrad

Hi, The belts that Simplicity uses for this have a special wrap to address this problem. Just because a belt is the right size, there is a lot more to it. Things, like cords, cord material. the way the cords are laid, [which affects how they last with a back wrap around an idler] whether the belt is a cut belt, a wrapped belt, what it is wrapped with. There a few belts Simplicity belts that are the same size and look alike, but have a 10 or 12.00 difference in cost. The difference is inside. Another thing on this tractor. Does it still have the 2 peice pulley? If so the 2 plastic bearings in the outer rim may be bad or gone. Another thing that can cause this is if the front belt guide/ guard is not set right or missing. Good luck, Al Eden