Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

Rescued a Kohler Magnum 18

SmilinSam
The first of 4 weeks of my junk tractor want ads started this last Wednesday. First I picked up a 14HP Ford not running. Hydro. hydro lift, electric clutch, a new carb on the Kohler-$75 Second was a Cub Cadet 1200 gear drive beat but running -$50 Last was a Lawn Boy Garden Tractor. This call had me by the but. I didn't think Lawn Boy had a garden tractor. Person said if I didn't want it for $25 they were going to just take it in for scrap iron to be crushed up. I got there and it looks like a Ford Framewise. Driveline componenets are similiar to Deere, Ford and Ariens. Hydrostatic drive, hydro lift, electric clutch, and best of all a Kohler MAgnum 18 twin horizontal shaft engine. Hour meter shows 400 hours. Only thing wrong I could find wrong in a quick once over is the steering sector gear was broken, so tractor is unsteerable. I'm charging up a battery to see if it will run tomorrow. Question: What kind of wiring changes would be required to install this in a 917 Allis ? The M18 has electronic ignition.

MikeES
Sam, I have a M20 in a 917 (Our pulling tractor DEUCE). The wiring is simple. You have a 2 prong plug on the tractor (yellow wire is lights/bat) the black wire is (ignition). You have a 2 or 3 prong plug on the M18 (3 if it has the oil sentry). The center prong is the ignition (ground to kill engine/open to run engine) on my tractor the left of center is the alternator. NOTE: DO NOT PUT VOLTAGE TO THIS WIRE AS IS COULD FRY THE ELECTRONIC IGNITION I connected the engine alternator to the light/bat prong (just put a jumper wire between the 2 plugs. Then I moved the tractor ignition wire to the open terminal on the key switch (my tractor had an extra tab on the key switch and extra position on the key switch plug. Checking continuity this terminal was grounded with the key off. Then I connected the tractor ignition wire to the engine ignition wire. I do not use the oil sentry. I hope this helps. If your tractor does not have the extra terminal on the key switch you could install a toggle switch or change out the key switch. I have also cut out the frame (very small cutout) for the oil filter. I can take a picture and post it if you like.

SmilinSam
Thanks Mike. I'm not sure where its going yet other than on the shelf for the meantime. It will fit both the Wheel Horse and the AC. I have a Briggs single in the AC at the moment and like it. The Wheel Horse has a KT17 in it. Need to run it a while to see if it flys apart or holds together.