Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Value of a 4041?

nighteye

I have a chance to get an old 4041 that is gonna need some work. The guy say's it runs but blows smoke pretty bad. It has 1700 hours on it. It looks pretty rough but appears to have everything there, (3 pt., PTO, front hydrolics, The mower deck needs a center spindle, The snowblower looks pretty good, and the front blade looks good but is rusty. I already have a 9020 so my wife is baffled as to why I want it but, I'm sure you in this forum can understand. My name is Nighteye and I'm a tractorholic.:o)

Hi Ken, I always make a case for how much I NEED, the particular item. IE, it has parts on it I can't do without, or attachments, or the guy is virtually "giving it away", etc. I never say I want, something! Good luck!

Tell your wife - "Another tractor, that pile of bolts is not a tractor. I just want to salvage a part or two off of it and then I'll get rid of it (in ten years or so or til I find a nicer one). Steve

Tell her you need some very expensive parts off the 4041 that fit on your 9020. After you get the tractor act like you are doing the changes and come to find out they don’t fit because of some updates or something on the 9020. The hard part will be telling the wife you were wrong {which should make her feel good that you were wrong} about it so you just as well tinker with it for what it needs to make it a useful tractor. This story might work this time but you better start planning another story for your next tractor? If this works let me know being I’m single so if I do ever get married I’ll have a story that works? If it doesn’t work don’t blame me because it is only my .02 worth of advice. I have no idea what it is worth but the way it sounds there is room for some negotiating.