Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ford & Lawn Boy tractors, who made them?

SmilinSam

Got a Ford and a Lawn Boy Garden Tractor here. Both are mid or later 80's models. The Ford has mostly a pipe frame construction while the Lawn Boy is a square cut steel construction. Both use the same style (looks like Sundstrand) Transmission that drives via a driveshaft straight into the pump. I've seen these same trannys on Deere's(140), and Ariens products. Axle housings have brackets cast into them for 3 point hitch arms. Looks like the trannys will interchange to me. Anyone got any ideas as to orgin?

Many of the ford lawn/garden tractors were made by Gilson. If you could post some pictures, that would help. -Chris

Sam, The models 80,100,120,140 Fords were made by Jacobson, and I think think Jacobson made some of their other big frame L&Gs...:)

I have to take back this tranny being like the JD. Looked at it closer after I got the tin off these tractors and I don't know as if these are Sundstrands. Definately not whats in the 140's after thinking about it. Looking at how these two tractors are built, I'd almost say these are worse than Deeres to work on.

The earlier Fords were made by Jacobson, and the later ones by Gilson. Gilson was bought out by Lawn Boy, which was bought out by Toro (or vice versa?). The later models made by Gilson were not very rugged, and I think the engineers who designed them had other things on their mind at the time. Pat

The 71 and 77 wards/ gilsons I have/had both have Peerless hydros in them. My feeling on them is over engineered, under thought though..MPH

patrician12
I agree with MPH's assesment of the Gilson's.The one I have is very well made but TOO many gizmos that get into the everyday workings.For example,the twin cylinder coil burnt out on the Briggs and one bolt for the top cover was right behind the gastank neck.Doesn't sound that bad except the gas tank is under the engine and the motor was obviously lowered as an assembly.Besides that I have never seen a mower deck with more moving parts.Patrician