Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Free But Not a Tractor

IronPony

Still capitalizing on my one time month old free ad to pick up non-running unwanted tractors. This one I will keep and use to trim around the resort with. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/howlanddm/DSC00114.JPG[/img] Got another call yesterday but the guy only had 4 "tractors". Said he had an MTD, Sears, Toro and a Husky. I can't believe a guy with 4 would not know what engines they were equipped with.? He said the Husky was running. I don't think any of these are any more than worn out lawn mowers so I may not even go to look at them. Dan

That's a Snapper, right? Nice find. Where did you put your ad, in a local "pennysaver" type paper? I priced one of those Snappers last year, out of curiosity--I believe it was $1,300.00. Yours looks solid--nice catch! P.S.: As is mentioned below, I meant to add that I would look at them. Those old Sears (Ropers?) look good to me--saw one in the flesh, and I believe it was an 8sp? Also, Toro makes some high-end stuff. Easy pickin--four birds w/ one stone, you know?

You should probably at least look at them, the Husky might be an old Bolens from the early 70's, at least I think thats what they called them, they were very heavy built and are collectible. If the Sears is an older one like a Suburban or Custom it could be worth some $$. The Toro could be a WheelHorse, again $$$. To me just about anything is worth getting for free! The Snapper looks nice! Hopelessly addicted. -Chris

How far away are they? It wouldn't hurt to look at them? One man's junk is another man's treasure?

I started an ad today in the local paper. The paper comes out in the afternoon. Gotten one call so far for a free Husky. The lady said the engine locks up sometimes. Don't know if it is an old Bolens or a MTD/TSC piece. Gonna go pick it up tomorrow. Never ran any ads before, this is gonna be interesting and fun. Brent

I've run ads in the local trader papers a few times.Lots of times you get people trying to sell junk for high prices,but I've aquired a few deals this way. Never any free ones,though.

Dan: I forgot to mention, last summer I saw one of these by a guy's garbage cans--"Oh boy!" I thought, and backed up. Only when I walked right up did I see the c-h-a-i-n, and the small, handwritten sign. I think he wanted $200. or 250.--definitely not free. And his was much worse than yours, quite rusty, in fact.

I would have to drive about 20 miles to look at the catch of 4 so I think I will. I will post follow-up a report.The paper I put my ad in was one published by our rural electric company and sent only to their rural electric customers. It was a free ad. Dan

The ad is working great - if you like MTD junk. Picked up the 6 year old Huskee/MTD tonight - free. My brother works 2nd shift so I dropped it in his yard (he he). Got a call for 2 free snappers and 2 free push mowers. Another call the wife answered with 2 crapsmen but they don't sound free. Stopped on the way home to see about some Allis stuff in a guys yard. Gonna get his 42" snow thrower and front clutch, 42" deck and an engine-less 712S next week when I have time to pick it up (he is gonna be out of town this weekend). He also has a 716-6 speed with newer engine and 48" deck I'm working on a deal with him. He'll sell just didn't know an asking price and I didn't want to pressure or insult him. Wait and see when I get the shuttle and attachments. If any of you shuttle lovers want this one it can be had cheap, you pick up. Brent

Well folks, I shot some starting fluid in the carb and this thing started on the first pull! Guess I just need to clean the carb. Not going to put a battery in it when it starts this easy! Dan

• 2 weeks later...
Got another call yesterday but the guy only had 4 "tractors". Said he had an MTD, Sears, Toro and a Husky. I can't believe a guy with 4 would not know what engines they were equipped with.? He said the Husky was running. I don't think any of these are any more than worn out lawn mowers so I may not even go to look at them. Dan[/quote] Well, I was right - All were just lawn mowers and all were junk.:(Theyn were all stored inside? The guy was nice and it is always good to meet nice people.:)

Between my brother and I, we've actually picked up 2 snapper riders (both running- free), a DA-612H and an 18HP Husky Garden Tractor w/46" deck (both running, $75 for both - didn't want them but brother made the deal), two 12HP huskies (one runs, other hole in block - both free), 4 pushmowers (3 free 1 runs, 1 running self propelled, nice $30). Have yet to go look at the suburban. Looked at a few others (Nice Bolens 1476 with big deck and snowblade but not cheap). Got probably 2 dozen calls on Craftsmen, at least that many on push mowers, several snappers and husky's (the cheap huskies, not Bolens) but have been turning them down. My ad runs out tomorrow after 2 weeks in the Richmond paper. No unbelievable deals. Alot of MTD and similar junk. Brent