Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electrical Problem (Thanks problem solved)

JFS

I recently did a thorough cleaning of my tractor and noticed the ignition switch was extremely rusty and dirty. As I attempted to remove the plug connector from the ignition switch for cleaning, one of the rusted spades broke off of the ignition. I found what I thought was a replacement ignition and installed it. The motor will crank great just no fire to plug and nothing to positive side of coil. I would appreciate any help you can offer. Tractor ran good prior to this incident. Also no power to lights. ? Thanks Again John

Hi, Would suspect you have the wrong switch. There are about 6 or 8 variations of these 5 terminal switches and they are not interchangeable. First there are ones for battery ignition and soe for battery ignition. I can't remember which way it is, [I'm at the house]but the series for battery ignition have different threads from the ones for mags. One is coarser than the other. If you get the wrong version of the switch with the Kohler with a batt ign. you most likely won't hurt anything. If you had a mag engine and get the wrong switch, it often puts 12v on the mag line in some mode and this punctures the container of smoke that the factory puts in the igniton modules. Since you can't stuff it back in, you have to get a new module with the smoke still in it. Seriously, we sell many ignition modules to people that go to NAPA and get a 5 terminal switch and it is the wrong configuration. Then we usually figure out which switch they need and sell them a coil and get them on the road again. Look at your new switch and see if the threads on the mounting nut are the same as the old one. Next look at the back. The terminals have to be shaped and look exactly like the original switch. If it is not EXACTLY the same on the back, you have a problem. I believe the part # you need is Simplicity 1607280. Good luck, My 2 cents worth and it is free, value accordingly, Al Eden

Hello Al Where did you get the part number 1607280? I was looking at a repair manual that said 178280 was the correct switch. This is incorrect because that switch (178280) is for a magneto ignition as you can see from the graphic above. I was unable to find anything showing the spade positions on the 1607280 switch. Would appreciate your help or anyone who can show the spade configuration on the 1607280 ignition switch. Thanks Again John

John, I don't know why, but I thought you had a 712 Allis. I don't know where I got that idea as when I looked back at your original post nothing is mentioned about the model. I have brain malfunctions like this sometimes. Maybe I was thinking of another post. Anyway I was almost sure it was a 1607280 from memory, it is also used in a whole bunch of the and 7100 and 900 models. At the house, I looked up the switch for a 7012 Sim which is the same tractor with a Kohler. I will look tomorrow when I am at the shop and will get the pin out for it. You are correct the 178280 is a Mag switch. Al Eden

John Go to this site and put in 500 for part# and download the large frame repair manual it has a very good electrical section This site has all the Manuals you could ever want. This will require some time and effort on your part Use Part# 100,200,300, ETC. to 900.Then you will have to scroll thought the list to find the one you want. They all have discriptions. All of the repair manuals are here. Part# 100 OPERATOR'S MANUALS Part# 200 INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS,OPERATOR'S MANUALS Part# 300 DEALER SETUP INSTRUCTIONS Part# 400 PARTS MANUALS Part# 500 REPAIR MANUALS Part# 600 Safety Section,INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS Part# 700 Neutral Adjustment Guide,Electrical Information Manual, Product Service Bulletin Book Part# 800 Misc. Part# 900 Service Bulletin Book,Limited Warranty Simplicity Technical Publications Document Search Engine. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/v_techpubsearch.php

I have a 1978 AC 710 with a Kohler 10HP engine. I looked up the part number on the Technical Pubs site and found the ignition switch listed as a 178280. I then discovered that this switch is for a mag ignition. Thats why I am confused at this point. Living in the San Joaquin Valley of Ca. I also do not have any simplicity dealers close by. Most of the dealers listed by Simplicity in my area do it as a sideline and carry no simplicity floor stock or parts. I have been thinking about purchasing a Legacy but can't even locate one to take a look. Thanks for all the help. John

John Did you down load the large frame tractors repair manual? The part #1607280 is the part # for the switch I found in the Allis Charlmers Models 710 712 716 Parts manual Which can be downloaded at this site. [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_3793_00_XX_A.pdf[/url] If you had gone to the Site I listed above you could have found the manual just like I did. There are two Tech Pub sites The one I listed in the above reply has more Manuals on it and they are listed by application not MFG# Here are 2 wireing digrams I found also

Thanks for the assistance. I did go to the link you provided but apparently I was in the wrong manual. The experience of the moderators on this site is invaluable. The familiarity with the site, publications, manuals and the tractors themselves provide a valuable service to us newbies. I have now downloaded the manual your second link pointed to. I expect to use it a lot in the future. Thanks also to Al, you were right all along on that part number. Thanks again to all ^ John

Al I would still like to see the pin configuration on the 1607280 ignition switch if you could find it. Thanks for your help John

I don't know what I been thinking. I was still at a mindset that the old broken switch I removed was a factory item. No wonder I couldn't find a match anywhere. The designations shown above which is the 1607208 switch is nowhere close to the switch I removed. Now I am clear...... just took a while. 8??? Thanks to all John

Hello Maynard Hate to bother you again. I have looked high and low on the Technical publications site for the location of the wiring diagrams you sent me on my AC 710 with the electrical problems (ignition). Can you please send me a link to the location of the wiring diagrams. Thanks a lot. Regards John