Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HYDRO

JOHNP

Am I just a worry wart or is ther some basis to my concern ? I have a 7116h (83) and it runs just fine. No problems or loss of power forward or reverse. Use the J.B. and the snow thrower with no problems. There is a small leak from the right side of the hydro but we're only talking a spoonful after use. My concern is the "whine" of the hydo while in use.... no whine at idle. Is this normal ? Recent fluid and filter change,same noise. Am I worrying over nothing ?

Some whine under load is normal... Ever heard a Case or Ingersoll that has hydraulic motors to drive it, instead of a hydrostatic? They really whine....

Both my 7116 and 7117 have a noticeable whine. More so 50' from the tractor when in use. You outta hear an MF 510 combine with a "BIG SUNSTRAND" hydro unit in it ! Wonder if that would fit in a 7117??? Nahhhhhh......... ken

Hydro's allways have a wine. Are 6620 Side Hill combine with a looded hopper really has a win when going up a hill.

Hey Ken, Are you sure the whine in the 510 is coming from the hydro?or is it coming from the cab?;):D:D:D

My Sov has a low pitched whine or "hum" that increases somewhat under load.My Ingersoll whines,moans and just complains in general-doesn't seem to mean anything...CJ

Hi,John; my new holland always whines! just after I change the oil,until I crack the line to bleed the air out! then it qieuts rite up. ( it's been doing this for the past ten years) art,

I like cheese with my whine and in Wisconsin we have some really good stuff.I dont hear any whine in my 7116 but it needs a new muffler also.Bob

Kent: I thought a "hydrostatic tractor" was driven by a hydraulic motor..., although I have wondered why they're called "hydrostatic?" If they are not two words for the same thing, then what is the difference? Thanks, Peter

Peter, The two terms are not the same, but I'm not sure I understand them well enough to explain the differences. This may be wrong, but I think the main difference is that a hydrostat uses a variable-displacement pump, where a hydraulic uses a fixed-displacement pump with bypass valves to control the flow and speed. I know there were problems with the early Case/Colts running away on steep slopes that they corrected by adding check valves. Here's some background info on hydrostats, but I don't know of anything equivalent on hydraulic drives: http://www.simpletractors.com/service/hydros/hydraulic_systems.htm

thedaddycat
I'm not sure what this one is(possibly a Massey), but it has a hydraulic pump coupled directly to the engine. Whenever the engine is running there is hydraulic pressure. BTW, if anyone knows for sure what this tractor is please let me know..... The hydrostatic 7114 has the same basic belt/idler drive set up as the three speed tractors. When you push the clutch in, the belt is slack and you have no hydraulic pressure.