Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Info about a Wheel Horse 4 cyl.

MN_FISH

I know this is the wrong place to ask buy here goes.:I There is an auction this Saturday 4/12/03 with an old Wheel Horse 4 cyl.gas utility tractor on it. Loader & 4 ft bucket, 4’ snow blower, & 3’ tiller. I went and looked at it and the only numbers were the serial numbers. No decals at all on it & the guy that was there didn’t know anything about it. He was just helping. It runs nice but a little smoke from sitting for a long time. I searched for Wheel Horse on Google and could only find some crappy sites with out the info I was looking for. Can anybody give me some info on this tractor or direct me to a website that can tell me about it? Wish I would have remembered my camera.B) Thanks in advance

mowerman1193
The Wheel Horse with the 4cyl. is a model D250.They have a Renalt engine in them and I think they was built around 1974-1976 but not sure on that.They are a very heavy built tractor.I am not sure to much about the parts availability for them though.As far as engine parts any auto store should have them as they are the same motor as the Renalt cars used. Try asking questions on the Wheel Horse Group on Yahoo. mowerman1193

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY! and FAST. You are looking at a tractor that parts are like gold.:( On the other hand, You could triple your money just by parting it out.:o)

Don't know how a Renault engine works in a tractor but they did not do very well in their cars. Not reliable & required a lot of work to keep working. My thoughts,

Hi Wayne, The tractor you saw was most likely a model D-250, built from 1976-1981. They have a French Pegeot or Renualt water cooled four cylinder,I can't remember which. There is a Yahoo club for the D series Wheel Horse tractors> wheelhorsedclub. Maybe they can help you more. At any rate, my friend has a D-200(20hp Kohler) he paid $3150 for with a 48" deck and 48" blade. A real workhorse for a garden tractor. Larry KG4ZAR

I agree on the replacement parts problem. Like said though, if a guy could buy that outfit reasonable it would make money piecing it out. I know one guy who has one sitting in the back yard because he has been looking for a hydro pump for a couple of years.

Thanks guys for the info.^ I put a post on the Yahoo Wheelhorse group but no reply yet. Looks like a wait see deal? There is also a Snapper 1650 on the sale plus a Bolens Q516 and a Craftsman mower. I don’t know how to put links on the posts yet so I won’t put the link here for the auctioneers website for the sale. If anybody is interested tho I can email you or PM the link? The auction is in TRF MN. Thought I found a bargain at a dealer up there <Broadmoor III with an 18 hp in it> sitting out back in the mud of a dealers place. Found out it was a trade in and they haven’t had time to service it and put it out front.:( $900.00 would buy it tho? I asked what the guy traded for and he told me that it was another brand but more hp so I told him the guy went down hill. The dealer agreed :)with me because of the workmanship & quality of the tractors. Makes you think OLD verses NEW. Sunny & 60+ :Dup here in northern MN! Geesh won’t be long and have to jump in the 380 HP tractor. Have a good one people.