Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

shuttle

HVACRAT

Can a shuttle drive be converted to a three speed with reverse or are they two different beasts? The trans axle looks the same physically.If I put a sheave on where the shuttle drive is can the trans be modified for reverse.

You can but it is probably easier to just get another tranny and swap out everything aft of the BGB. Take a good look at the manuals for both types, most of the parts are the same........

You can convert it, but it is not feasible in either parts or labor. The best alternative is to get a used three speed transmission. Pat

The transaxle castings are the same, BUT most 4-speeds did not have the casting machined out for the reverse shaft and bearings. Most internal parts are interchangable as is the right side gear case. So if you find a 3-speed that needs some repair, high probablity that your 4-speed can supply the parts.