Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

forward air shipping - large and heavy objects

schaefer72

hi i know forward air has been talked about alot before but i thought i would revisit the area to share my shipping experience - i love forward air they are far cheaper than any other shipping company i found - i bought a cckb motor in california and had to have it shipped to seattle , wa. - it weighed in at 240 lbs after crating - the total for shipping was only $80 bucks - what a deal - only 2 day delivery - they ship by truck and only ship from warehouse to warehouse - no local delivery - they were far cheaper than any other i called - the next cheapest was about $150 on up to $250 - you can just strap it or bolt it to a pallet but they prefer you build a frame around it to protect it and allow things to be stacked on top - most of the normal shipping routes such as ups - usps - greyhound - amtrak - and federal express have weight limits of 100 lbs to 150 lbs - so they dont work for larger items - overall i only have great things to say about them - they also have online tracking of all items - and they are open late for picking up items - good luck - see ya

I filed this info way back in the back of my brain under "really nice to know someday":) Thanks for sharing your experience. Never know when I may want to ship something big. This is what this club is all about. Dan

Yup, The way to do it! I just sent an ARK 700 loader (877 lbs out the door!) from DTW to GSO (Detroit to Greensborrow NC)for $283! Earlier I sent a Powermax mower deck to Pittsburg for $45! JP

Yeah, and you sent me a 60" powermax deck to Greer,S.C for what?little over a hundred bucks.And a sickle-bar mower from Texas for about 60 or 80 bucks. Those were some heavy packages.I'm well pleased with forward-air.

Slightly off the subject but may not. another tidbit to file away in the back of your minds. Forward Air has a special crate designed just for shipping motorcycles. $410 from Rochester New York to Houston Texas. You would have to see if they allow it but the crate is large enough to put nearly any tractor into and has plenty of tie downs to secure any attachments I can think of. Thw bike I shipped was only 450 pounds but I believe the crate had a 1500 pound capacity or higher if I recall. The only requirements I remember are the gas and fumes must be removed from the tank, then roll it in and tie it down.