Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Junk Tractor Want Ads: Attn Sam

Brent_Baumer

Brent_Baumer
Sam, How do you word your ads that are so successful? Been running mine since Tuesday. If I wanted, I could have about 10 free snappers 5 craftsmens and 2 dozen push mowers so far. Picked up some but turning most down. That free husky I got the other day had a crankcase full of water for some reason. Changed the water out for oil and it runs and mows fine. Only got 1 call for a decent machine. A JD110 with snowblade and deck and with hydro lift. The guy wants $400. I offered $200 (which is more than I wanted but don't see many hydro lifts on those) and he hung up on me. No cubs, wheelhorse, ac, simplicity, bolens etc.

My ad says" WANTED,Dead or dying Simplicity-Allis Chalmers lawn & garden tractors,parts,accessories,just about anything.",with my phone # afterwards. Haven't got any freebies,but some deals on some early iron.And as you've seen,some people think they own solid gold.

Brent: Thank you for asking Sam this question. I believe he told us last year, and I've been screwing up my nerve to ask him to tell us again--lol! Peter

Wanted: Non-Working and junk Simplicity, Allis Chalmers, Wheel Horse, Cub & other brands of Garden Tractors and attachments. Will Pick up. Phone # or Wanted: Non-Working and junk Simplicity, Allis Chalmers, Wheel Horse, Cub & other brands of Garden Tractors and attachments. Any Age Any Condition. Will Pick up, pay for some haul others away free. Phone # or Wanted:Buying Non-Working and junk Simplicity, Allis Chalmers, Wheel Horse, Cub & other brands of Garden Tractors and attachments. Will Pick up & pay cash. Phone # Other variations have been tried but the above seem to work. I'll change brand names around, adding or deleting some trying to get different types. Inevitably 2 out of 3 calls is for an off brand MTD type. If they are close and free I'll get them, but I turned down 2 last week that were 45 minutes away. I'll run this ad in several local advertising circulations for a month at a time for about $45. Keep in mind that I only need one good quality buy to consider the ad a success. Last week was the first week and I got a Cub 1200 gear drive running and a Gilson built Lawn Boy with a good 18 Kohler MAgnum twin horizontal shaft. Total expenditure for both together was $80. I consider the ad paid for with those. I also got calls for two snapper rear engine riders and a MTD rear engine job that I all refused. (I'm getting picky I guess) This week I got no calls. Two more weeks yet to go. Anything else picked up from here on out is a bonus as far as the ad goes. Keep in mind that his is sort of like gambling. You might get "the Big One' and then you may get no calls at all. Its happene to me both ways and all in between. On that Deere , I would have at least gone and looked. The Hydrolift option could bring as much as $300-$400 by itself. The blade was good for $100, and the tractor would have been money in the pocket. Depending on looks I may have offered $50 less and seen what happened. However, I am trying to stay away from the more expensive purchease for a while. My Ebay sales are starting to show telltale signs of being depressed as are the local avenues of selling. If the economy starts a downslide I don't want to be stuck with equipmemnt I have 3 digit figures in. One thing about lawn equipment, if you get stuck with it, at least you can use it..:D

Brent_Baumer
I thought about stating "garden tractors" and not mentioning "mowers" but figured I'd miss out on people that refer to their tractors as lawn mowers. I should have at least said "No Pushmowers" I guess. Getting alot of calls for those. I would recommend an ad for anyone looking for a pushmower. You'll end up with several running with zero money in them. Live and Learn I guess. Thanks, Brent

I've run a few ads like Sams. I've mostly gotten cheaper stuff. If someone has something to throw in for free I throw it on the truck or trailer. I've had dozens of pushmowers given to me and sold about 12-15 last summer for $15-30 in my yard depending on quality. Usually all they need is an oil and sparkplug change with the air cleaner cleaned. It's not much money but it does help and it builds up a reputation in the area that I just might have something someone is looking for. Plus I'm single with no dependants so I have alot of time on my hands. :)