Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jpw

cone clutch revisited

jpw
has anyone had to replace the clutch plate? the lining in the clutch plate on my 7016H was wore and the pulley was rubbing the inside. my earlier post had no replies. bought one from dealer this morning ($75.00)when i installed it after work it seems the lining is too thick. when the nut is seated on bgb shaft the clutch is fully engaged (lever not moved). any thoughts? thanks, joel

Dutch
Joel, I just had two worn cone clutch problems myself last month (one front - one center). I did emergency repairs using leather. The leather was much thicker than OEM. I did have to make a new spacer for the front clutch, but I was able to get the center clutch linkage adjusted to compensate for the increased thickness and it works fine. Do you have any wear (slop) in your linkage, or a bent rod that may be limiting the clutch travel?

jpw
no slop in the linkage,but, their was some adjustment left. and it was not enough . ended up taking the clutch plate from my 7117 and it worked fine . then put the new one on 7117 and it worked fine there with no adjusting. these dont come in different sizes do they. oh well problem solved. Dutch, let us all know how this clutch lining lead pans out even the dealer i bought new one from wants to know about it. thanks, joel