Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign 7018

wasmeneh

Have an opportunity to purchase one of the above. It has a 18hp Kohlerm 50" deck and is hydro> A few questions to the experts... From what years was this model built? Any problems..... What should I look for I will be mowing about an acre. Thanks Mike

Pics? Price? Don't recall a 7018 per se. The 7000 series is a solid machine. get back with some more info. Steve

The 7000 series were built in the mid-late 70's. The 18hp Kohler used in them was an OHV. Some replacement engine parts may be hard to find. The OEM decks were 42" & 48". Here a link > http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1978/16_&_18_hp.htm

No Pics, tractor is a few hours from me and I'm trying to get some basic info on it before I go and look at it. Guy's asking $925 OBO. Say's it runs great no smoke, nw battery. What do I need to look out for??? Thanks in advance Mike

Sounds high to me. Been looking hard for the past few months for 7000 and 7100 series tractors 14 hp and up. Found several for much less than that. Brent

I would check the oil in the bevel gear box. to do that you have to flip the seet and fenders up and there is a plug on top the box to check it. look at the deck and make sure that is not beat up to bad or rusted up. they were good mowers and didnt have many problems if well cared for i would check it over like you would any other mower.

according to my book the 7018h was made in 1978/79 with two MFG#'s 1690366 & 1690433. The Allis Chalmers equivilent 718h there was only one MFG# 1690367. According to the parts manual the 12hp was Kohler the 16hp was briggs and the 18hp was kohler. The 1690366 had turf tires and the 1690433 had Ag tires

Thanks, I spoke with yhe current owner. He said he got it in a swap type deal from the original owner, He thought it was a 1983. The 18 hp Kohler is that a splash oiler?? Pressurized?? Says its in good overal condition, good paint, no rust always in a shed. Might go and take a look at it (4 hrs away) Mike

If it's a 7018, it wouldn't be any newer than a 1979. That is a single cylinder Kohler engine, splash lube. It is basically a 16 horse (K-341) kohler single that was modified to become an overhead valve version. I believe all internal parts below the head are the same as the K341, such as crankshaft, camshaft, piston, rings, connecting rod, main bearings, flywheel, and ignition system. There were cooling problems in the cylinder head where it would overheat and cause valve seats and guides to come loose. The tubes that enclose the push rods between the block and head were often difficult to seal to prevent oil leaks. With a little extra maintenance, they were a good strong engine. Pat

I have a 7018H and couldn't be more satisfied with it. Haven't had any major problems with the engine, but I recommend pulling the cover off of the valves and taking a look at them and examining for play and other wear. As mentioned above, with proper care it is a good engine with A LOT of power. Price may be a little high, though. I looked at one the other day priced at $800. I was thinking of offering around $450. Might as well give it a shot! DaveM

Thanks for the help. I may go take a look at it. I think he's very high but is says OBO I may check how firm he is before I go 31/2 hrs pulling a trailer. Does anyone know id there are manuels available somewhere for this model??? Again thanks in advance Mike

For manuals, go to the website and type in the MFG# (169xxxx) > http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php I don't get involved with "what's it worth" questions because CONDITION is what really matters. That 7018 could be worth as little as $50 if it's junk, or well over $1,000 if it's in "like new" condition. Let your eyes do the buying.